C4 Forums | Control4

IPad Control4 app remote access

I think he wants to know how to use it remotely after purchasing and setting up the ipad app. There are currently 2 ways. You can open up some ports on your router, pretty easy but does open you up to security risks. The second way is create a vpn into your router and connect that way.

• 8 months later...
sure would be nice to see a write up on how to set up a VPN on a cisco router and an Iphone

I use a Cisco RV220W. Fairly expensive router, but with a strong PPTP VPN password setuo, it works well. PPTP does have its vulnerabilities but if you don't use a password from a dictionary, and have random characters, numerals and symbols, its going to be more the secure enough for connecting to your home.

I have yet to get IPSEC to work from an iPhone to a consumer or small business router, but i have not tried it with iOS5.

sure would be nice to see a write up on how to set up a VPN on a cisco router and an Iphone

I use a Cisco RV220W. Fairly expensive router' date=' but with a strong PPTP VPN password setuo, it works well. PPTP does have its vulnerabilities but if you don't use a password from a dictionary, and have random characters, numerals and symbols, its going to be more the secure enough for connecting to your home.

I have yet to get IPSEC to work from an iPhone to a consumer or small business router, but i have not tried it with iOS5.[/quote']

I use a Cisco ASA5505, with certificate based authentication using IPsec. Has been working since iOS 4. Much stronger than PPTP, and easier too, because there is no password - just the cert.

If you use the 5505, and the admin GUI, it's all point and click. Extremely easy.

Thanks

D.

I have an ASA with the Cisco Anyconnect software on my iphone and Ipads. Works great, easy to setup and if you know how you can set it up with certificates for 2 token authentication.

It's pretty easy to setup. Email me if you want me to send you a write-up.

Archived