C4 Forums | Control4

Controller Question

GarethKeenan

Would 2 x HC300's and 3 x HC200's be sufficient to control the following;

16 x 16 Component Video Matrix Switch (RS232)

2 x Control4 Media Player's connected to NAS

4 x Direct TV DVR's/Receiver's

Samsung Blu-ray player

Sony BDP-CX7000ES Blu-ray changer (RS232)

Harmon Kardon Receiver

Yamaha Receiver

7 TV's (eventually it will be 10)

2 x Roku Boxes

Thermostat

I don't have any dimmers and don't plan on getting them, so that isn't a consideration at this point.

Thanks

It depends on how much media your going to be running on th media players. I'm around 2tb now and seeing slowness with media loading and room loading. Getting hc1000 installed next week.

Most of the guys here will recommend the hc1000 for the bigger systems. My personal take if your dropping the cash might as well do it up right. Wish I had originally.

So far I have about 1 TB of movies on my NAS and it seems to load pretty quickly. I would have more, but haven't had any luck putting my blu-ray collection on there with the correct audio track, so those go in the 400 disc changer.

I didn't realize that with more movies on my NAS there would be a significant change in the system's performance....thanks for the advice.

Depends on what firmware version your system is on. The media management database (size-wise for example) is much improved in 2.0+, however this benefit is offset by the cpu resources of flash navigator when running all services on one box.

My question to you would be on-screen navigator use - do you plan to use it, and in any places at the same time?

Would these be new controllers or old stock?

The controllers are about 6 months old. I use the on-screen navigator sparingly, and if I do, it's usually only at 1 place at a time. I usually use an iPad because it's easier and faster to navigate through.

I think I'm running 2.06 but could be wrong on that, but I do know it's a version of 2.0

• 1 month later...

The HC-1000 is awesome and makes all systems run very smooth small or large (highly recommended) but to answer your question your controller count is fine. You are running 5 controllers. The HC-300 can handle 10 sub controllers giving you 11 controllers max before you have to upgrade to the HC-1000. If you are doing a lot of streaming I would make your network rock solid. Then move forward with an HC-1000 when you add the 3 more tv's and 3 more HC-200's Hopefully :P

I can vouch for the HC-1000 - its like a different system since I had it installed.

Room changes are instantaneous, my media load time was cut to almost a third of original load time. Best $$$$ I have spent to date on C4 equipment.

I've come to the conclusion that the next iteration of my system will include the HC1000. At that point I'll be adding in lighting and blinds control along with 3 more zones for distributed audio/video so I won't really have a choice if I want a responsive system.

Archived