C4 Forums | Control4

Is the light on or off?

I use "triple tap up" on my light switches to play my Favorites playlist in that room, "double tap up" to skip forward, "double tap down" to skip back, etc. I want to test the light condition just before I tap and set the light to that condition after I execute the instructions. The problem is that the light always tests to the condition after I tap--I guess because the switch turns it on/off; so it seems I am not getting the condition before the tap? Where are the basic controlling functions of the switch set?

I don't see how you are going to double-duty/triple-duty a load controller to that extent. The most I do is assign ancillary functions to multi-tap, Button 2 of a dimmer. Even then, I must toggle that function then turn on the light else, I'm in the dark. I don't know maybe I always been in the dark...

Let me have a whack at this anyways. Set a variable only on the single-tap. Then, programming in the double-tap/triple-tap modes, at the end of code, recall the variable. See what that does- I'm not at a HE computer...

Your still going to be in the dark when you skip-back though...

^No capability to do that, that is why you set a VAR to capture the light state. Theré's a few write-ups on that. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that this is done on a load controller. If there was some way to programmatically remove the BUTTONS ATTACHED functionality, I'd see a way out.

Maybe this explains my dilemma better. I walk into a room--the light is either on or off. I "triple tap up" and my favorites start playing. Now, the light is on because any tap turnes it on--why, I don't know? If it were off when I entered, I want to turn it off in programming.

Yeah, well, a load controller is a load controller. That is why there are 2BT and 6BT products and I use a ton of them. But, like I said, I have had to resort to using a dimmer here and there. I only go after the lower button in that case and try to rememeber to trigger the event before lighting-up.

Never tried this before, but can you uncheck the "Buttons Attached" and control the light through the programming?

Yes, you can.

That would probably be the easiest way. It would delay your light turning on and off by a second or so, but uncheck "Buttons Attached" so it no longer works like a conventional dimmer, then setup the single tap to turn the light on and off. You wouldn't have your full dimming functionality though.

What I do in these cases (I avoid them as use 2B and 6B keypads as often as possible) is just set the same programming for the bottom and the top. If the light is on, I press the top. If the light is off, I press the bottom.

^No capability to do that, that is why you set a VAR to capture the light state. Theré's a few write-ups on that. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that this is done on a load controller. If there was some way to programmatically remove the BUTTONS ATTACHED functionality, I'd see a way out.

Maybe we can persuade C4 to include programmatic control of BUTTONS. this would sorta extend the capability of a dimmer/switch.

Programming on and off taps the same sounds like a good solution.

I've used double taps in my kitchen where there are 4 dimmers and a 6 button. Rather than going to the 6 button at the other entrance to the kitchen, I have a couple of them programmed as double tap off = room off. Double tap on = a particular lighting scene.

^Actually, that is part of 2.0. What I was mentioning was switchable BUTTONS ATTACHED function. So, you could work a switch like a switch, programmatically pause and during this pause de-activate BUTTONS ATTACHED while you make your media selection then return to BUTTONS ATTACHED, active.

Good suggestions. Problem with up and down the same is that I need four functions-- last being " Favorites off". The easiest for me is to single tap the dimmer to turn the light back off if it was off; was just trying to be "cool"! Thanks to all.

Archived