C4 Forums | Control4

Complex volume control on 6 button keypad

dbuono

I have a six button keypad that I currently use for my patio area (music only). Two buttons are for volume up and down (so on push volume starts up or down and on release volume stops). Now, I want to try to be a little more complex as I have also added music to the pool area. What I want to do is to have the following control for volume with the 6 button keypad - one button for volume up for current music area (patio, pool, or combined media scene) and one button for volume down for current music area (patio, pool or combined media scene). But, I have no idea how to have the volume buttons choose the current area or media scene as opposed to just being tied to a specific area. Does anyone have any programming suggestions on this?

Thanks.

Are you saying you want to have the volume buttons control the volume of different things at different times? If so, I think you will need to use other button(s) to cycle through a list of the things you want to control. You probably have to set a variable to the current thing being controlled, then change that variable to the next thing upon pressing the button chosen for controlling it. Then your volume up/down buttons change the volume of something based on the value of that variable. It'll get a little complex with a bunch of "if variable is this, ramp this volume", "if variable is that, ramp that volume".

Edit: I personally don't like the "start volume" approach. I just increment/decrement volume by a small amount with each tap.

Sorry for the confusion. Basically, I am trying to control volume for multiple "rooms" with the six button depending on what room is on. I have talked to my dealer a bit and came up with the following plan to try out. This is not the exact programming language, but should get my idea accross. I will try this and see what happens.

Button 1:

Single tap

- Select XM radio

- Set room selector to = 1

Double tap

- Select XM radio

- Set room selector to = 2

Button 3 (volume down):

Press

- If room = 1

-- start volume down room 1

- If room - 2

-- start volume down room 2

Release

- If room = 1

-- stop volume down room 1

- If room - 2

-- stop volume down room 2

Button 4 (volume up):

Press

- If room = 1

-- start volume up room 1

- If room - 2

-- start volume up room 2

Release

- If room = 1

-- stop volume up room 1

- If room - 2

-- stop volume up room 2

ILoveC4

That programming did work. Now I have one additional question for you since you seem to use media scenes. I created a media scene called "Back Yard Music" that covers the pool and patio areas. Now, how do I get a button on a six button to turn on the media scene? In programming, it says "adtivate" on last room. That seems to indicate that I have to program the button to first turn on the patio area and then activate the media scene. Is this how you do that or is there a different way?

Thanks.

Yup. Turn a room, then turn on the media scene. I have buttons that do both in one motion. Make sure you set programing to turn off the media scene after you turn the room off. Turning off the room doesn't deactivate the media scene.

• 4 weeks later...

One more question about the above progamming. When the media scene is activated, how can I: (1) turn up the volume for the scene (not just one room) from an SR-250; and (2) change the volume with the 6 button keypad for the scene (not just the room)? When I go into programming for the 6 button, I cannot find a volume control for the scene.

Thanks

Archived