C4 Forums | Control4

Wall Switch won't reset - any ideas?

Greetings! I have a wall switch that has just (apparently) committed suicide, and I'm looking for ideas to see if it can be resurrected.

I was doing some electrical work, and had shut off the power at the breaker. The switch was not part of the work, just on the same circuit.

When I restored power, the switch immediately started flickering the LED's, 'as if' it was doing a firmware upgrade. HOWEVER, at this time the switch was isolated from the ZigBee network - it's in an outbuilding with no ZigBee connectivity because my CardAccess relay died a few days ago.

When the switch finished, it rebooted. The LED's changed colours a few times, then stopped with both LED's BLUE.

The switch now doesn't respond to button presses. I've tried Reboot (15 top), Factory Reset (9-9-9) and channel identify (7-4-7).

If I hold the top button and reboot by pulling power, then when power is restored the LED IMMEDIATELY go to BLUE, and it stops responding.

If I hold the Bottom button and reboot, then after a few seconds it looks like it does a firmware upgrade again (flickering LEDs), then it reboots and it ends up in the same state as before.

I've pulled the switch from the outbuilding, I have it now on a test-bed in the house, so it has access to ZigBee. Never shows up in the system as online though.

RMA isn't really an option I don't think, I bought it secondhand and installed it myself.

Any suggestions? Any secret tricks to tell it to factory restore, if it isn't listening to button presses?

I'm pretty cheesed off right now, it looks like I'll have to replace the switch because it committed suicide. Yay, that's not what I expected from home automation equipment this expensive.

.......RMA isn't really an option I don't think, I bought it secondhand and installed it myself......

......I'm pretty cheesed off right now, it looks like I'll have to replace the switch because it committed suicide. Yay, that's not what I expected from home automation equipment this expensive.

Not to be "that guy" , but had you bought it from a dealer the 2 year warranty is pretty straightforward had this dimmer decided to "commit suicide".

.......RMA isn't really an option I don't think' date=' I bought it secondhand and installed it myself......

......I'm pretty cheesed off right now, it looks like I'll have to replace the switch because it committed suicide. Yay, that's not what I expected from home automation equipment this expensive.[/quote']

Not to be "that guy" , but had you bought it from a dealer the 2 year warranty is pretty straightforward had this dimmer decided to "commit suicide".

Yeah, well my local dealer has a flat rate for dimmers and switches - $300 a pop. No thanks, I can buy them RETAIL, have a failure rate of anything less than 50%, and STILL be ahead of the game.

I guess what we have here is another manifestation of the C4 business model - since they only deal with Dealers, consumers are left out in the cold when the C4 products fail.

Archived