C4 Forums | Control4

Required wiring to connect C4 ipod dock

What is the best wiring schematic to use to connect a C4 ipod dock to a hc300c that is about 75ft away.

Also looking to add another that is about 125ft away.

I currently have:

Cat6 for network

Component for HD video

Planning on using the c4 provided 3.5mm cable and plug into 2 analog rca wall jack. Any limitations to the audio quality running over these lengths? If so what are the recommended max lengths and what type of wire is best used.

Thanks

Component for HD video

Planning on using the c4 provided 3.5mm cable and plug into 2 analog rca wall jack. Any limitations to the audio quality running over these lengths? If so what are the recommended max lengths and what type of wire is best used.

I'm a little confused. When you say "plug into 2 analog rca wall jack" do you already have the balun in the wall jack? or you would like a recommendation of balun and cabling?

I've used Muxlabs and Intellix. If I can remember correctly they are rated at over 125ft no problems. These balun usually use 1 Cat5/6 run and you need one balun on each end. Snapav also have some nice baluns for these. I would recommend Cat6 just as a general rule for future requirements. But Cat5e will do just as well.

I've got 100+ft run using Muxlab/cat6 and the quality is relatively good

I will check out the recommended baluns. Thanks. For the analog... wouldn't it be ok to run say coax and terminate onto a analog audio jack plate? (especially for the shorter distance?) This is in a new contruction setting so i can run any wire easily right now. Any thoughts other than using the expensive balun? Thanks

I will check out the recommended baluns. Thanks. For the analog... wouldn't it be ok to run say coax and terminate onto a analog audio jack plate? (especially for the shorter distance?) This is in a new contruction setting so i can run any wire easily right now. Any thoughts other than using the expensive balun? Thanks

Yeah...regular RCA cable.

did i miss something' date=' i thought the audio comes out of over the ethernet??[/quote']

Audio is not streamed over the Ethernet. The audio is only analog.

henniae is right. Allowing it to digitize and stream the audio would have been WAY too convenient.

Actually, to be honest I have no idea how easy or difficult that would have been. I'd like to give Control4 the benefit of the doubt and assume there is some road block, but who knows.

Hmm, if this is the case, is there driver so you could plug a regular apple ipod dock with line-out into the c4 8zone amp and select what you want from the ipod?

Yes, if you just want to navigate using the docked ipod itself then a driver that is just meant to select a source on the amp can be created and it will work that way.

Archived