C4 Forums | Control4

Will Control4 do the trick?

Question for the experts:

Our house is currently being built in Waco, Texas. We went with one of those national builders (DR Horton) and pre-wired the house. The family room contains component video, coaxial, and CAT5 port. All the other rooms (4bedrooms, kitchen, masterbathroom, & living/dining) have ceiling speaker pre-wire, coaxial, and a CAT5e port. Each room has the pre-wire for the speaker volume control right inside each doorway (it is wired with CAT5e). The living room has a ceiling speaker pre-wire for 5.1 sound. All the cables terminate in an in-wall cabinet in the master bedroom closet. There is enough space and 110v to have a cabinet either mounted to that wall or on the floor with A/V equipment that attaches to the house system.

Although we have a lot of pre-wire, we don’t plan to add everything at once (we also have to buy furniture and the cool 60” plasma). At first we will just add speakers to the family room and the others will come in periodically.

Here are the questions:

AUDIO

Will Control4 Controller be able to distribute various audio sources to the different rooms (zones) or do I also need to get the Audio Matrix Switch?

Does Control4 Controller do its own amplification, or do I also need to get the multi-channel amplifier? Does it have to be a Control4 amp, or can any AV receiver work that will handle all the speakers in the house (assume I’ll be purchasing oh…100W speakers).

Will the speaker volume in the different rooms be handled with the remote/on-screen, or can I add a panel to the speaker volume pre-wire?

VIDEO

I’d like to have 3-4 video inputs, and from the research and the postings here believe that I’ll need to have some type of video-matrix unit connected to the controller Is the matrix unit a better alternative than an RF video modulator that broadcasts the other signal on unused cable channels?

I’d appreciate any help that you all could offer. I’ve really enjoyed keeping up with the forums.

Question for the experts:

Our house is currently being built in Waco, Texas. We went with one of those national builders (DR Horton) and pre-wired the house. The family room contains component video, coaxial, and CAT5 port. All the other rooms (4bedrooms, kitchen, masterbathroom, & living/dining) have ceiling speaker pre-wire, coaxial, and a CAT5e port. Each room has the pre-wire for the speaker volume control right inside each doorway (it is wired with CAT5e). The living room has a ceiling speaker pre-wire for 5.1 sound. All the cables terminate in an in-wall cabinet in the master bedroom closet. There is enough space and 110v to have a cabinet either mounted to that wall or on the floor with A/V equipment that attaches to the house system.

Although we have a lot of pre-wire, we don’t plan to add everything at once (we also have to buy furniture and the cool 60” plasma). At first we will just add speakers to the family room and the others will come in periodically.

Here are the questions:

AUDIO

Will Control4 Controller be able to distribute various audio sources to the different rooms (zones) or do I also need to get the Audio Matrix Switch?

YES. It only directs what goes where. Audio Matrix depends on how many sources you have

Does Control4 Controller do its own amplification, NO or do I also need to get the multi-channel amplifier?Yes Does it have to be a Control4 amp,No, not neccessary but definately recommended. or can any AV receiver work that will handle all the speakers in the house (assume I’ll be purchasing oh…100W speakers).

Will the speaker volume in the different rooms be handled with the remote/on-screenYes, or can I add a panel to the speaker volume pre-wire?Yes, either option works great.

VIDEO

I’d like to have 3-4 video inputs, and from the research and the postings here believe that I’ll need to have some type of video-matrix unit connected to the controller Is the matrix unit a better alternative Personally, I think that is the best way.than an RF video modulator that broadcasts the other signal on unused cable channels?

I’d appreciate any help that you all could offer. I’ve really enjoyed keeping up with the forums.

Glad you have enjoyed yourself.

Archived