C4 Forums | Control4

Something to Think About

I wrote the following a while ago.

5) Currently the highest resolution available is 1080p. But as we know 2k & 4k is coming and will be main stream as 1080p is today within 5 to 10 years. I hear a lot of people saying well there is no 2k/4k content so it wont happen anytime soon. But just like 1080p displays when they first came out people were saying "there is no 1080p content" the highest at the time was 720p or 1080i. Now you have Blu-Ray, VDU HDX, and Other HD Streaming sources. Broadcast TV may never hit 1080p, 2k or 4k but as internet data rates get faster in the future, 50Mbps, 100Mbps even up to 1Gbps, we will be able to access more and more 1080p and even 2k & 4k content.

Above I mention about 2K & 4K displays being main stream within 5 to 10 years. I want to revise that to 3 to 5 years. I was at the SID (Society of Information Displays) Conference in LA a couple of weeks ago and 2K & 4K displays were front and center. This was in conjunction with the demonstration we were involved in at a movie studio showing how it plans to stream 4K content to the home.

HERE is an article reviewing a Samsung 3D 4K display from the SID Conference. This display is A MAZING.

I am bring this up hoping those out there planning a new install or thinking about a new install will be able to ask their CI about this and plan for it. Ask your CI what they know about 2K & 4K displays, what is/will be necessary for installation, etc. If they answer you by saying "well there is no 2k/4k content so it wont happen anytime soon" or "don't worry it's a long ways off" then look for someone else who can answer your questions. As I mentioned in my post "What to look for in a dealer" look for installers who are members of industry organization such as CEDIA, InfoCOM, SID, etc. These organizations show us what's on the horizon, what to prepare for and how to prepare. Again, your CI should help you plan for it during your install.

Remember when 1080p displays came out people were saying "there is no 1080p content so there is no need for a 1080p display". Now you have Blu-Ray, VDU HDX, and other 1080p streaming sources.

I may be wrong, but I believe this is the year 2K & 4K displays & content will dominate the news at CEDIA this year. My 2 Cents.

I don't want to be a party pooper but unless we all get bionic retina implants or full wall sized screens I don't see the point in the increased resolutions? No one will be able to see the pixels as they are beyond the limits of human vision unless you have a large projection screen or sit 3 feet away. Heck the need for 1080 is even questionable in many cases. I don't see this as a 1 MB ram is all you will ever need issue but more of a yeah it's cool but what's the point :rolleyes:

I'd rather have them develop 3D television without the need for the glasses. I've got a 65" 3D Panny right now and the glasses make me feel sick after just 30 mins.

This was not meant to be a "3D" or "Non 3D" post. I was pointing out 2K/4K displays and just happened to link to a 4K 3D display.

With that said here is an interesting article titled "LED, 3D failing to drive HDTV purchases."

I was not intending to hijack your thread GoGo. Apologies if it came across that way.

Just posting a link to an interesting article relating the the post i quoted.

/3D

I was not intending to hijack your thread GoGo. Apologies if it came across that way.

Just posting a link to an interesting article relating the the post i quoted.

/3D

Oh, no need to apologize at all. I didn't mean it that way.

Archived