C4 Forums | Control4

Control 4 has been a nightmare

We have had (un)Control 4 since 2006, and we have had nothing but trouble with it and extremely bad service. Our first boxes failed a little over a year after installation and we were told we could BUY new ones which would solve the problem. The next ones went out last summer so we replaced one of them, we left the bedroom tv just on a cable box and I am glad we did so at least one tv works. The new Control 4 box is going out already again in less than a year. We have spent thousands and thousands on this system and it DOES NOT WORK! PERIOD!

The last time they came they charged us another $3000 to fix their first installation with all kinds of guarantees and replace what Control 4 installed in 2006 telling us the first Control licensed distributor did a poor job. Well the new has failed again!!!! When we have expressed our dismay with the system we have been always responded to with a request for more money to change what they already installed. I am being EXTREMELY NICE in this write up. But I cannot stress enough, if you are thinking about this product, LOOK ELSEWHERE.

We are now faced with pulling out all our light fixtures and MEDIA center controls after again spending thousands! THey failed to mention that only the Control 4 systems works with their automated lighting and heat controls unlike other similiar products which would not require pulling out all our light fixtures. In there last repair job (which was not free, again thousands of dollars down the drain) they could not even get one of there own lighting controls to work so in our library the COntrol 4 controller does not work with Control 4 system. Come on guys, this is ridiculous.

Our disappointment and disgust with CONTROL 4 goes beyond words. We have been ripped off twice now and I would be a bigger fool to let them in my house again. So for anyone considering this system, you have been Warned.. I would look elsewhere and get a system that is more dependable and one that can work with other systems so you don't fall into the CONTROL 4 TRAP as we have.

For those of you that it works for GOOD LUCK, you will need it.

Hey,

Your situation does sound ridiculous, but it sounds like you've got a crap dealer. But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, C4 can be a solid system when put together by someone who knows what they are doing. I've got the landscaper from hell right now, who cost me thousands in property damage last week. It doesn't mean that I'm going to give up on landscaping, it just means I'm going to can his ass and find someone who doesn't suck. It can be expensive when vendors do a bad job. PS. All C4 boxes come with a 2 year warranty when bought from a dealer, I believe...

i have found in my experience............2 years with control 4 .....................98% of the time it is bad dealer.........if set up correctly is a great solid system.............sometimes little hiccups occur............but again.............that will happen with any system............instead of spending anymore money...........since you dont trust dealers........i would look for help here..............maybe start with just the lighting............get that straight and continue with what eklse you have.................alot of people here would be happy & enjoy helping other people (including dealers)..............if not..........all i can say is ..........pull it out and sell your equipment.........................but help is here if needed.

Aside from a bad dealer. It sounds like you have a power problem. Make sure your controllers have clean power and are on a good UPS system.

Also your network is the backbone to your system. If it's low quality and improperly installed, you will have many headaches.

Wow. What a nasty experience. It doesnt get any worse than this. Heck 2006!! 5 years of disappointment, and your dealer let this go on, without pointing you to other sources like this one for help? Whoever did this should be named and shamed. I'm lucky. I have had the opposite experience. I had a good dealer and great backup support from AChow.

The product is great. But it needs to be setup properly from the start. its a shame you didn't find the forum a while back to get some help.

From a long term end users perspective, its important to realise that this product is NOT completely plug and play. And Its not 100% perfect. Nor does does it work 100% of the time. What computer based technology does? But it should definitely NOT be as bad as your description.

It also helps to have a bit of background computer and networking knowledge, and a little bit of technology sceptism. So you can chew the fat with your dealer. And work out if they are doing the correct thing by you. When they walk out that door, you need to undestand what to do, how to reboot, monitor your network, add movies and music, tweek things on HE, etc etc...Also you need some time on your hands to anoy other members on this forum for advice :)

Makes the consumer a more informed user.

So here is where I'd go from now to get "turned on".

I'd concentrate on getting the basics right. Start with your primary TV or HT zone. On the largest c4 controller. Get all the programming re-checked maybe by an offsite programmer. Quite a few are advertising this service. Its perfect for this. They should be able to check pretty quickly if there is a major problem. You wont even be able to get past first base if there are underlyng network issues, which will give you a big insite into things anyway.

Ask on the forum here if there are hickups in this first step.

You need to work out what is actually at fault: network vs power vs C4 hardware vs C4 programming.

if you dont do this, you wont get the correct information on how to get compensation/warranty from the prevous dealer, but more importantly just adding a new different platform onto a poorly set-up or faulty network backbone will not sort out your problems. There is a fair chance the new product will not perform either...

As for Control4. Seriously, C4 should take note of this guys experience and darn well listen to customers like this.

Its about time they DID have a direct customer to company feedback process. i dont care how. This website, a direct phone help line, market research, whatever. Experiences like this guys should not be tolerated. Can somebody from the company please find out who this guy is, and give them a call? And sort him/her out. Im sure I wouldnt be the only one on this forum who looks forward to a good outcome for this user....

Dear Turned off, I find your post very upsetting. It shouldnt be like this! Please post back how you get on....

Archived