C4 Forums | Control4

Jandy RS

Installed the Jandy Serial adapter dropped it in composer we are showing the active temp and pumps but no actually control from the Navigator any suggestions on troubleshooting?

How long is the run? What type of wire?

2.1 and Jandy pool control

June 9, 2011

Product: Composer Jandy Pool Control Driver

Topic:.Jandy Pool Control Will Stop Working

Affects: We have found that there is a common factor in systems running 2.1 that have a Jandy pool controller installed in the project that will stop communicating with the control 4 system within a few weeks operation.

Detail: Jandy has supplied us with some information regarding the RS232 communication requirements for the controller to work properly. In every one of the cases we have seen this issue; the dealer has used a cat 5 cable for the serial cable communication. This is not a supported method by Jandy.

Action: Replace the cat 5 cable with the required 18 AWG bus wire that Jandy requires. In every case we have seen this cat 5 issue , replacing the cabel with 18 AWG bus wire has fixed the communication issue and control was reestablished.

• 10 months later...

I am about to hook up Jandy RS pool controller. I have read throught the instructions and the threads. I am just trying to make sure I have the best way to do it. I have a Jandy RS 8 controller. It looks like this Jandy 7620 serial adapter is required:

http://www.polytecpools.com/jandy-7620-generic-serial-adapter-vantage-lite-touch-lutron-cestron-and-elan-p-284.html

My pool controller is 100+ feet wire distance away from my rack with HC-800 and IO extender. I plan to run 18Ga wire to from the Jandy RS controller to my inside rack and place the Jandy 7620 serial adapter inside in the rack. Then I will have a short serial cable to connect it to the C4 controller or IO.

I know the Jandy manual says 30 ft but that is not going to be practical and I'm pretty sure I've read about others with similar distances. I figure that the 485 communication on the Jandy side will handle the distance better than the RS232 on the C4 side.

Thanks.

i would run 18/5 in case you need to double up some..........its the voltage that needs to be correct at the adapter....i used cat5 and had to double up to get the right voltage.....was awhile ago so dont remember the voltage needed.

Thanks for the reply. I think they pulled 18/7 not knowing what we would need. From the Jandy manual it looks like there are 4 wires for that run (485). Seems to say to double up power (10V) and ground.

• 4 months later...

Archived