C4 Forums | Control4

Flash is dead... long live the King???

I keep reading everywhere that Flash is pretty much toast and yet Control4 is running it in 2.0 forward. Is there development underway for HTML5, and if not why not? Heck even Adobe is offering HTML5 tools in it's flash packages now... Enquiring minds want to know.... and me ;)

Control4 does not pre-announce plans / roadmaps for future products or strategy.

I disagree that Flash is in any way dead for the purposes Control4 is using it for, but do agree that it's important that, (IMHO) Control4 is constantly evaluating new technologies, markets, etc..

RyanE

There have been multiple attempts to kill Flash, but none have prevailed so far. HTML5 (or more accurately HTML5 + CSS3 + a crap load of Javascript libraries) may eventually do a lot of what Flash can do today, but it will be years before that's a reality. There's been so much hyperbole in the media about this, it's incredible. The reality is, what Flash does is very complex and it is very efficient at what it does (both in performance, believe it or not, and filesize). It will be years before you can do most of what you see today reliably across major browsers, with the same efficiency that Flash has enjoyed over the last decade. Until then, it's a grab bag of sites with "This site must be viewed in Chrome" (or whatever) in their footers. Remember how many years it took to get the major browsers to render a table the same way? Rich internet apps are much more complex and it will be a harder thing to get right. While HTML catches up, Adobe will have to keep innovating or die. Either way, HTML5 and Flash will continue to co-exist together for several years. There's a ton of legacy content out there.

Looks like google just made a big step in killing (converting) flash swf files to html

http://swiffy.googlelabs.com/

Still alpha, but it at least tells you what it doesn't convert.

Flash's death will come sooner that you think. However, Flex and actionscript will live on and Flash will just become an IDE for HTML5 applications with some sort of JS framework for HTML5 canvas renderings and a backend to work with actionscript 3 (or 4) services so Flash can still be a decent authoring tool.

Flash is dead, long live flash...

There is so very little things in the web that actually go completely obsolete and are not supported by a modern browser. I'm having trouble even thinking of one.

Flash may become less popular, but will be around forever. (forever in computer years though)

Archived