C4 Forums | Control4

Zigbee interference with Garage door openers?

My garage door openers have quit responding to the remotes unless the remotes are within feet of the opener. They have worked for over 2 years. We did make some changes to the Zigbee network at the house. We added a couple of range extenders and 4 wireless outlet switches. All of that was done yesterday and the garage doors worked fine last night and this morning when I left the house. Sometime after 9 this morning everything stopped. I unplugged everything installed yesterday and nothing changed. The garage door guy of course said it was because ouf all my C4 stuff. Anyone have anything simular or suggestions for the next steps?

You could shut down the entire C4 system as a test and see if the problem persists. If after you shut down all C4 dimmers, switches, keypads, everything. If the problem still happens then it is not the C4 system.

What brand and model of garage door opener? With this info we can determine what frequency the system uses and see if it is in the same band as C4. C4 (i.e. Zigbee) uses the same frequency as WiFi which is 2.4 GHz.

After reading a bit it looks to me that garage door openers use radio frequencies that are nowhere near WiFi so it seems that interference from your C4 system is unlikely, but I guess it is possible that a garage door opener uses 2.4 GHz.

Here is a Wiki that talks a bit about garage door openers and mentions what frequency they use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garage_door_opener

Seems that most garage door openers are nowhere near the frequency range of Zigbee.

Here is another older article talking about the military using the frequency that millions of garage door openers use

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/12/06/tech/main659343.shtml

What frequency do your garage door remotes operate on? Typically ZigBee doesn't cause interference, as it's spread-spectrum, but I suppose it's possible if your GDOs are on 2.4 GHz.

RyanE

What frequency do your garage door remotes operate on? Typically ZigBee doesn't cause interference, as it's spread-spectrum, but I suppose it's possible if your GDOs are on 2.4 GHz.

RyanE

The articles I found said 300-400 MHz. Since that is nowhere near 2.4GHz interference seems unlikely.

Thanks for all the info. Last night around 11 pm, the openers started working again. During the day I did turn off all of my C4 stuff and the problem still was present. I really don't believe that it had anything to do with it. They are still working this morning. I know there was a very large professional firework show being set up. I wonder if their radio controlled detenators were generating the interference? Hate to think that someones garage door opener could set off their show.

• 5 months later...

Archived