C4 Forums | Control4

There is something missing...

Something about the product line up just isn't right.

I say this because of what is going on right now with the TV manufacturers and network media player "all in ones" (like the boxee et al) moving to wireless remote control.

The new LG TV with wireless smart remote, which controls an internet menu type of all in one TV experience, is being sold for just that. The simplicity of the wireless remote.

Lets face it. One of the strengths of C4 is....was.... the Universal remote experience. Having all the control sitting on the SR250. Sure, I know Control4 is more than that.... with multiroom music, lighting and Smarthome etc.

But fundamentally, if the Universal remote experience starts to lag behind, well IMHO, it's like the whole product starts to feel "old technology". Swapping remotes all the time during the the primary TV viewing experience just doesn't cut it for a Home Automation company.

What to do?

Well IMHO the product line up is lacking a network player, or new Controller that has this wireless interaction built in with control of Netflix/Hulu/whatever. Something that say replicates the Kylo experience. All of which could be controlled by a "new" Control4 remote. Alternatively some sort of "learning" wireless controller built into a next generation SR250, that could be programmed to add wireless control to say a the LG TV or the Boxee box etc.

I don't know how the company goes about actually doing this. Or which is the best or easiest approach....But there you go. Don't shoot me down. It's just some legitimate feedback :)

What do you all think?

I just hope they offer IP control...that's the cleanest method I've found thus far.

Oh yeh. Your right. That is probably the long term answer. It's just making it happen....

But wireless has it's advantages. Often development of human-computer interaction starts off in the gaming space (eg like Nintendo as you know) and it's interesting seeing major TV manufacturers now start to use this technology for human-TV interaction

Archived