C4 Forums | Control4

Newbie driver works question example of a 2 way UDP driver

Incontrol

The driverworks SDK has everything you need to get started with development including basic examples, API, getting started guide, etc. I recommend that he read through those documents to get started.

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your reply. I am replying on behalf of Richard, the creator of this thread.

Actually the lighting device that I am trying to control does the following:

- It listens on UDP port, say, 1234

- It accepts UDP datagrams with a formatted data string, interprets the data string and forwards the command to an internal shared bus and performs the respective action.

- The Acknowledgment data string is generated from the internal shared bus and packed into UDP datagram. The UDP datagram is then broadcasted on the network on the same port i.e. 1234

As for now, I am able to send UDP packets to the target device and get the required action done. But the driver is unable to receive ack packets that are being broadcasted on the network destined to port 1234. Implying that I am able to do one-way communication.

The required behavior of the driver is that it should listen to broadcast UDP packets on a specific port, say, 1234.

I'll really appreciate your assistance.

Arsalan

Unfortunately, I don't believe the driver support of UDP will work that way.

If the device being controlled sent back the UDP feedback on the *same port* that the driver originated the UDP on (a high-valued port), it would work properly, but I don't believe DriverWorks drivers can receive UDP on an arbitrary (or broadcast) port.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so in this case.

RyanE

• 3 months later...

Archived