C4 Forums | Control4

Can't access shared audio folder in Windows 7

I just bought a house with Control4 partly integrated and the dealer's programmers can't seem to connect to a shared music folder on my Windows 7 machine. From what I can tell, the system is using an HC-300 controller, but I'm new to this whole thing so I don't even know if I'm reading that right. The programmers suggested buying a NAS or connecting a USB device directly to the controller, but since I just bought a house and I already have to add to the base Control4 system, I'm hesitant to start throwing more money around if I can avoid it.

I've adjusted all the settings I can think of, I've even created a separate user specifically for the share, and nothing seems to work. I'm not usually so technologically inept (I'm actually a software developer by profession), but this whole thing has me stumped. What am I missing here?

thecodeman, Thanks for the reply.

I don't have any software firewalls running on that machine. The audio share has been set up for a while and is probably the only share I have that "Everyone" can access since it's shared between several different operating systems on the network. That's the main reason I thought this would work as well as a separate NAS or USB drive.

Maybe it's genuinely not possible to get the controller connected to the computer, I thought that was just the programmer's way of pushing me off.

I saw that post yesterday and switched some settings around, but it's still not working. The hardest part right now is I have almost no information about what the programmer is seeing so I have no idea if I'm helping or not, or even if I'm providing enough/correct information. The system is fantastic otherwise, I'd just like to have networked audio too.

From the installer's perspective, the Network File Share connection asks for:

path: \\ip or server name\share

user name: if applicable

password: if applicable

workgroup: if applicable

and a connect button. a status window will show whether it is online (after succesfully connecting) or offline (not connected or the server is off)

I had headaches with this before I decided to just pony up and buy a NAS. I was the OP in the thread Cody referenced.

I can tell you that what I posted worked fine on my PC. Have you gone ahead and made the change I show in that screenshot?

I see... So if the installer is doing this remotely, are they going to have any issues connecting to an internal IP address? I assumed the connection would come from the controller which is already on my network, but maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong.

Also, do any error messages come up when it can't connect to the share, or is the status window's online/offline response the extent of it?

ILoveC4, I already had most of the same settings from your screenshot, but I did change the last one to use the user accounts (previously had Homegroup handling it). I must have busted some other setting back when I set up the share the first time, but I can't figure out what it could be.

I see... So if the installer is doing this remotely, are they going to have any issues connecting to an internal IP address? I assumed the connection would come from the controller which is already on my network, but maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong.

Also, do any error messages come up when it can't connect to the share, or is the status window's online/offline response the extent of it?

Composer doesnt make the connection - director on the controller does. I've done this remotely before and it works as expected since the controller and the computer are on the same network.

The only error message that comes up says something to the effect of "Director was not able to establish a connection to the share. Please check the information and try again."

Archived