C4 Forums | Control4

HC-500 Music Folder Gone

I am currently using a HC-500 at my house and have the controller running 1.8. I have registered the controller and everything seems fine and dandy. I can scan pictures for screen save photos and I have scanned and cataloged over 5,000 songs into the controller, all seems to work fine and all goes well for a few days. On or about day 3 the controller when I select media to play states "unable to play selected media". I work for a dealer so when I go into composer to check or add more media i receive messages stating "you do not have permission" "file or folder missing". Furthermore from the HC-500 GUI on my TV it states the controller is "not registered" this also appears on my touchscreen. The odd thing about the whole issue is that within composer it states the controller is registered.

Note: I do not have an ISP at my house. If i take the controller back to the shop and put it on-line and re-register the controller my music folder reappears and also all my screen saver pictures. I just run a scan and it finds the 5,000+ songs and photos and adds them back in. But after a few days I'm back where I started. So i guess the issue is internet access but I don't feel like this should be an issue. I'm sure there are other controllers out there with no access to the internet.

I guess I should elaborate a little more....here is what I have.

1 HC-300 Running Director

1 HC-500 Running ZigBee

1 7" Tabletop

1 SR-250

1 Netgear Router

3 C4 Dimmers

1 C4 Switch

1 C4Outlet

1 PC connected to pull media from

I Had it hooked up through the PC at one time to stream digital audio but it keep clipping so I wanted to put in on the 500 to eliminate network traffic. It worked like a champ from the 500 until the folders disappeared.

Thanks for the help CodeMan

Hmm, well I know there was an issue with controllers not plugged into a router at some point, but looks like you have that covered. Might have your dealer back up your project and do a USB restore to the latest version of 1.8 and see if that fixes it.

When you say 5,000 songs - what format and bit rate are they?

I will post that more than likely Monday after I get back to the house and gather that info. Thanks to everyone for the help so far. Furthermore I would like to add that more than likely the music folder is not there now. This is the weird part...works for a while then its gone. The list of music is there in the media directory but the files are missing. Like they just up and disappear until I can connect it to the Internet and re-register. It acts as if it needs to phone home in order to work properly. I'm considering upgrading to 2.1.1 but don't have the money to do that right now. Also kind of concerned that if I do not have an ISP if this issue will continue to manifest itself after I drop some coin into the controller.

Love the system and enjoy working with it. Just went through installation training and Tech II certification. Just thought I would try to fix it myself before I start getting in to tech support. Really want to learn the backbone and brains of this equipment. I'm sure I am going to be running into all sorts of situations in the future.

I will post that more than likely Monday after I get back to the house and gather that info. Thanks to everyone for the help so far. Furthermore I would like to add that more than likely the music folder is not there now. This is the weird part...works for a while then its gone. The list of music is there in the media directory but the files are missing. Like they just up and disappear until I can connect it to the Internet and re-register. It acts as if it needs to phone home in order to work properly. I'm considering upgrading to 2.1.1 but don't have the money to do that right now. Also kind of concerned that if I do not have an ISP if this issue will continue to manifest itself after I drop some coin into the controller.

Love the system and enjoy working with it. Just went through installation training and Tech II certification. Just thought I would try to fix it myself before I start getting in to tech support. Really want to learn the backbone and brains of this equipment. I'm sure I am going to be running into all sorts of situations in the future.

You do not want to upgrade with your setup. Get a HC1000 first.

When you scan music in with composer, it's added to a database - mm.db and anytime the music is listed onscreen, on the remote, or a touchscreen, it is read from the database whether the source is available or not. If the source is unavailable when you select something it will say "unable to play selected media" but that could mean that you don't have permission to access the file anymore.

The music files are probably still there. Have a look here.

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=5367

See if you can scan music in with Composer. I'm curious if you still get "file or folder missing."

mount -o remount, rw /

First of all the responses are great. Thanks in advance for everything.

I already tried the "mount -o remount, rw /" to no avail.

This is what was returned when I applied the following....futhermore when I start the scan now it states "Your controller is not registered." Then its states if I want to continue with scanning but not be able to pull media information from Control4. I tell it to continue and then I get the "You do not have permission" statement.

The odd thing about it...in "Account Services" within Composer it states the controller "is" registered. It also states that there was no response to the VPN check. I expect that because the fact of no ISP.

I agree the music is there....I know its there because when I take the controller to work with me and reregister the controller... "BAM!!!" the music is back. I dont have to rescan or anything.

Maybe the thing is possessed. It really seems like its doing something to inhibit the upper functions of the controller like media control when it cannot talk to Control4.

login as: root

root@192.168.1.5's password:

Welcome to

____ _ _ __

/ __| _| |_ | | / |

| | ___ ___|_ _|__ ___ | |/ O |_

| | / \| _ \| | __\/ \| |__ _|

| |__| O | | | | | | | O | | | |

\____\___/|_| |_|_|_| \___/|_| |_|

T E C H N O L O G I E S

Home Controller HC500

Console

For further information check:

http://www.control4.com/

BusyBox v1.2.2 (2010.02.27-05:27+0000) Built-in shell (ash)

Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

~# ls -ld /media/audio/music

ls: /media/audio/music: No such file or directory

~# ls -ld /media/audio

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Feb 27 2010 /media/audio -> /mnt/media/audio

Archived