C4 Forums | Control4

Install - two weeks away!

I am getting excited, my closing is in less than two weeks away and the install will start the day after I close. This is my system to date:

5 HDTV's controlled by Control4 (Family Room, Kitchen, Master Bedrom, Master Bathroom and Covered Patio)

2 Sony 777s of video distribution

8 Rooms of distributed audio (with 4 in-wall touchscreens)

8 Cameras with DVR

After this is working, my second phase will be alarm system, HVAC and lighting.

I will give an update in 3 - 4 weeks. (I hope I am not dissapointed, my expectations are pretty high)

• 4 weeks later...

First Update,

I have about 80% working at this time. My biggest worry was not having TIVO's because we used the Multip Room Viewing Option (transferring shows from TIVO to TIVO) to allow us to watch basically anything on any TV. When I was going to HD, there was no TIVO HD Solution with MRVing. Well, we got a KNOX switch that allows me to watch any of my 4 Direct TV DVRs on any of the 5 TVs I have controlled by Control4 - all is good, actually much better than the TIVO non-HD solution because there is no waiting for a show to transfer, you watch them "live"/"real-time" now. :D

Problems - due to new contstruction - I don't have phone (for the security system) or internet yet - neither Qwest or Comcast have "run" lines into the new subdivision - should be done in 2 weeks. This is causing a few issues - security system is not monitored (Glock, Smith & Wesson, and Beretta are taking care of this until the phone is in :)) - also, the system is not able to connect to the internet to search for DVD's and Music cover art - again, not a big problem and caused by me not the installer or Control4.

Good news:

All 5 TVs are working well - the KNOX switch and Direct TV DVRs are just cool. - very happy

Also, the 4 in-wall touch screens are working well - have not played with them much, but they work fine - happy

Distributed Audio (8 rooms) - working great - 1 room is 5.1 all others are 2 speakers - very happy

Remotes - controlling the multiple locations and controlling the XBOX 360, single DVD, 2 Sony 777s, XM, CDs, etc. - working fine - very happy

8 security cameras - sadly, the DVR did not come in on time, I should have this working by Friday - have to wait and see

Overall, the installers have been great - the two cabinet upstairs and the boxes in the basement look great. They installed 5 TVs (52" LCD, 46" LCD, 32" LCD, 26"LCD and 23" LCD) - again the installation looks great.

I am very happy to this point. I guess the next 2 weeks will give me time to learn everything and give an update.

Wish me luck!

• 2 weeks later...
First Update,

I have about 80% working at this time. My biggest worry was not having TIVO's because we used the Multip Room Viewing Option (transferring shows from TIVO to TIVO) to allow us to watch basically anything on any TV. When I was going to HD, there was no TIVO HD Solution with MRVing. Well, we got a KNOX switch that allows me to watch any of my 4 Direct TV DVRs on any of the 5 TVs I have controlled by Control4 - all is good, actually much better than the TIVO non-HD solution because there is no waiting for a show to transfer, you watch them "live"/"real-time" now. :D

Well, I love TIVO, but the solution with the switch is much better. The wife and I love the ability to watch any of the 4 DVRs anywhere in the house (almost anywhere - family room, kitchen, patio, master bedroom and master bathroom).

Problems - due to new contstruction - I don't have phone (for the security system) or internet yet - neither Qwest or Comcast have "run" lines into the new subdivision - should be done in 2 weeks. This is causing a few issues - security system is not monitored (Glock, Smith & Wesson, and Beretta are taking care of this until the phone is in :)) - also, the system is not able to connect to the internet to search for DVD's and Music cover art - again, not a big problem and caused by me not the installer or Control4.

I got tired of waiting for the internet and phone so I got a Verizon Wireless card for the laptop. Does not solve the problem, but allows me to start updating music and DVDs. Damn Qwest and Comcast - mid-June is the estimate.

Good news:

All 5 TVs are working well - the KNOX switch and Direct TV DVRs are just cool. - very happy

Also, the 4 in-wall touch screens are working well - have not played with them much, but they work fine - happy

Distributed Audio (8 rooms) - working great - 1 room is 5.1 all others are 2 speakers - very happy

Remotes - controlling the multiple locations and controlling the XBOX 360, single DVD, 2 Sony 777s, XM, CDs, etc. - working fine - very happy

8 security cameras - sadly, the DVR did not come in on time, I should have this working by Friday - have to wait and see

Everything is working well - love the remotes controlling everything. I also have the security camera DVR working and have no issues with the 8 cameras and control4.

Overall, the installers have been great - the two cabinet upstairs and the boxes in the basement look great. They installed 5 TVs (52" LCD, 46" LCD, 32" LCD, 26"LCD and 23" LCD) - again the installation looks great.

I am very happy to this point. I guess the next 2 weeks will give me time to learn everything and give an update.

Wish me luck!

My direct comments are above bold/italics - I still am impressed with Control4. Should I post some pics of the two cabinets and TVs? Any specific questions? I guess I wanted to post some good news about the system - most of the other boards have a bunch of haters.

I think it's great that you take the time to keep us posted on your experiences with Control4 . Glad it's been a mostly good experience ! Sounds like you found a great CI to work with . I think most of the rants we see on those other forums are due to poorly installed systems .

I'd love to see some pix .

panamagixxer - Thanks for posting. I'm about 5 months away from an install and not seeing many posts about user experiences makes me wonder if I'm doing the right thing. I imagine a lot of other people are in the same boat.

I'd love to see any pics you've got as well as any additional comments about your system - what's working, what's not, and more importantly, all the components that you've invested in - control4 or otherwise. We've already installed wires for distributed video but the installer has recommended a key digital component switcher. It's an expensive unit so I'm always looking for a cheaper solution (as long as it works).

Thanks again.

tum

panamagixxer,

What type of dvr/camera system are you using? and how is C4 integrated into it?

I am about 4 weeks from my install. I will keep everyone updated on my progress.

Thanks for your update,

tebery

panamagixxer - Thanks for posting. I'm about 5 months away from an install and not seeing many posts about user experiences makes me wonder if I'm doing the right thing. I imagine a lot of other people are in the same boat.

I'd love to see any pics you've got as well as any additional comments about your system - what's working, what's not, and more importantly, all the components that you've invested in - control4 or otherwise. We've already installed wires for distributed video but the installer has recommended a key digital component switcher. It's an expensive unit so I'm always looking for a cheaper solution (as long as it works).

Thanks again.

tum

I will work on pics this weekend or maybe tonight according to my wife's schedule - we are still unpacking boxes and hanging pictures and she is the BOSS :D

I have 2 other people working with my installer on Control4 systems (smaller than mine) and it is going well.

One person has bought a new house and the previous owner had a pretty massive system - now the "closet" has hundreds of hanging wires. He is working with the installer to handle the mess and give quotes on options.

The other person did a small media controller install in his family room for his DVD, distributed audio, XBOX 360, etc. He is happy and is having the installer quote more work.

Basically, I think a lot depends on the installer. My guys were a little more expensive than others, but their customer service is excellent. I would rather pay a little more and have a working/nice looking system than go the cheap route.

I hear you on the switch, mine was a little over $4k. I will list out he components too.

panamagixxer,

I am about 4 weeks from my install. I will keep everyone updated on my progress.

Thanks for your update,

tebery

I will look at the model number tonight and post the information. C4 basically, controls the DVR - I have a camera icon within my VIDEO icon - all I do is go through the menu and the 8 cameras pop-up. I can hit select to change from 8 to 4 cameras on the screen or I can select any of the 8 cameras to go on the screen by itself. I can hit the DVR button on the remote to look at recordings from any or all the cameras. The remote handles all the functions (at least that I know of at this time). I have not had the time to read the DVR manual to figure it all out :D

panamagixxer' date='

Thanks for your update,

tebery[/quote']

I will look at the model number tonight and post the information. C4 basically, controls the DVR - I have a camera icon within my VIDEO icon - all I do is go through the menu and the 8 cameras pop-up. I can hit select to change from 8 to 4 cameras on the screen or I can select any of the 8 cameras to go on the screen by itself. I can hit the DVR button on the remote to look at recordings from any or all the cameras. The remote handles all the functions (at least that I know of at this time). I have not had the time to read the DVR manual to figure it all out :D

It is a Varieon DVR - I am too lazy right now to open up the rack, set-up the sliders and pull everything out - so I don't know the exact model number. I will post in a couple of days - still working well with C4.

Some Details - please don't tell me there was a cheaper way :D

Rack on Left (top to bottom)

4 C4 Home Theater Controllers

APC Power Filter

C4 Media Controller

C4 Amp

C4 Multi Tuner

Vareion DVR (Security Cameras)

Rack on Right (top to bottom)

Knox Video Switch

Integra Receiver

Integra Single DVD Player

XBOX 360

APC Power Filter

2 Sony 777 DVD Players

4 Direct TV DVRs

Thats about it in the racks.

panamagixxer - thanks for the quick reply. I see that you've got the amp and mult-tuner. Do you lose any functionality with your 8 rooms of distributed audio by not having the audio matrix switcher? I'm basically trying to figure out whether I need the C4 audio matrix switcher.

thanks,

tum

panamagixxer - thanks for the quick reply. I see that you've got the amp and mult-tuner. Do you lose any functionality with your 8 rooms of distributed audio by not having the audio matrix switcher? I'm basically trying to figure out whether I need the C4 audio matrix switcher.

thanks,

tum

I will have to look how they installed it. I had an issue with my set-up initially because I have 4 Direct TV DVRs distributed with the video switch. Basically, can watch any DVR on any of the TVs. In the Family Room, I have 5.1 sound, but I was only getting 5.1 on 1 of the DVRs because the optical audio was only being used on the 1 DVR. They brought in a different switch to distribute the 4 DVRs using the optical audio - giving me 5.1 on all the DVRs in the family room. I will pull out the cabinet this weekend and take a look. Not sure if this makes sense?

panamagixxer,

what type of network equipment are you using? and is C4 on its own network?

thanks, tebery

I am using Netgear equipment. They have a 16 port switch to network all their stuff (or it could be bigger - can't remember) and I am using a Netgear wireless (N) router at the source in my basement. Does this answer it? Everything is wired including the mini touchscreens.

thanks so much for all of your replies. It's extremely gratifiying to know of another happy c4 customer.

if you get a chance, I'd love to see a pic of the screen that shows how you select which dvr you want.

thanks,

tum

thanks so much for all of your replies. It's extremely gratifiying to know of another happy c4 customer.

if you get a chance, I'd love to see a pic of the screen that shows how you select which dvr you want.

thanks,

tum

Here are the pics - one of the remote and one of the TV screen (remote is hard to see).

I named the 4 DVRs ABC, NBC, CBS and MISC only because I designate which DVR to record what channel (helps lesson the confusion and reduce the chance or recording the same show twice).

I named the 4 DVRs ABC, NBC, CBS and MISC only because I designate which DVR to record what channel (helps lesson the confusion and reduce the chance or recording the same show twice).

Great idea. We named each DVR by individual user name; John's DVR, Jane's DVR, Guest DVR...that way everyone can have their personal recordings and watch it on any TV.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived