C4 Forums | Control4

Dimmer/Switch vs 2-Button Keypad?

servpro

Anyone notice that the 2-Button keypad button sticks out a bit farther than the dimmer/switches do? The keypads also have a different feel and touch when pressed. Maybe its just me or the batch of keypads I got. They also seem a tad bit whiter than my other dimmers/switches. Is this normal?

See Photos Below:

DSCF1306_1.jpg

DSCF1308_1.jpg

This is one of the reasons that we got rid of our C4 lighting. The 2 button keypads feel very "spongy" and are not consistent with the rest of the product line. I personally liked the C4 lighting products, but my wife could not stand them...especially when dimmers and 2 button keypads were ganged together. We have since switched to Lutron Radio Ra2 and have no complaints. In fact, their keypads are much nicer than Control4 plus they have a hybrid keypad which can also control a lighting load.

Snaffle8-Why didn't you just remove the 2 button keypads? How does the Lutron stuff integrate? Same...any issues?

Thanks!

Lurton has the ability to integrate with c4 via drivers.

Thanks Codeman... Just wanted to make sure not losing any functionality. Also, the cost of the keypads for lutron are more than double the price of C4. Can you program the lutron keypads to do automation like c4 keypads?

UPDATE: For now I just replaced the keypads with switches and programmed them to act like keypads. But it is a mess in the system. On the outside it looks nice though. This is a HUGE design flaw for C4 and they should fix this.

By itself, the keypad is ok, but mixed with other switches it stands out. On top of that, the dimmers have a little "tab" on the top that make them stand out too. Its like every keypad, dimmer, and switch are all different. If I noticed this earlier I would have looked into something else for lighting.

Snaffle8-Why didn't you just remove the 2 button keypads? How does the Lutron stuff integrate? Same...any issues?

Thanks!

My wife didn't really like the C4 devices, she thought they looked and felt cheap. The drivers for the Lutron work great when integrating, but you lose your conditional logic when using RA2. My system is getting pretty old (installed in 2007) and I am running 1.74. I refuse to update to 2.0 because of all the problems. I am an Electrical Contractor and have had a couple of relationships with Control4 dealers and have done many cooperative installs. Now I have a C4 partner who pushes RA2 for lighting instead of Control4. Plus, you got to admit their keypads are much sexier. I just got my PSP from lutron and now have access to the new wireless cellular shades. Now that I have had RA2 in my own home, I wouldn't turn back...But still love C4 and have hope.

Archived