C4 Forums | Control4

What causes system lag?

I have quite a bit of system lag. A lot of times I have to take my batteries out of the remote and put them back in to get it to resolve. It drives me crazy to have to push a button on the remote and have it not do anything or it will only work after multiple button presses of the same button.

Any ideas?

^While all great potential causes, I too have this problem and the SR in question is 7 feet from a ZAP. Director has no overhead during this period and the network is stable as usual. I R&R the batteries to get back up & running. It's quicker than trying to figure out why this happens twice/month or so and merely guessing at it mostly. It's just another Control4ism...

It seems that his issues are much more extreme then yours Controlfouruserguy. Occasionally having to remove and replace the batteries is one thing, but to have to do it constantly isn't acceptable by any means. That is why i think that there is probably some other larger underlying issue. But I do know what you mean by Control4ism...

I always seem to lean towards RF issues so your Q about how far from the ZAP needs an answer.

Yeah rf issues are Very tough to troubleshoot without the proper gear. One solution that I have found that helps to resolve these issues is to place a CA repeater on top of the zigbee coordinator It's amazing how often this quickly and easily fixes the issue at hand.

^Exactly. This is what I do (albeit out of frustration). I don't like the fact that I need that device but it helps all of the time, not just sometimes. The unknown associated with RF energy is that generally there is no access to equipment necessary to identify freq. and field strength. Even if you unplug your own devices there could be a rogue device at a neighbor' house causing problems. Propagation can change literally with the weather which brings problems on suddenly then off the next day.

ichbinbose speaks from experience, I can tell.

Archived