C4 Forums | Control4

What is the best way to connect my Xbox/Satellite/APTV/etc to the 4Zon

Sarge88

Currently I have a less than ideal setup that is functional that drives my theatre and Living Room TV. But I would like to make changes so I can listen to different sources in different zones, and currently i can't do that.

Today:

* I have a Pioneer SC-07 with 4 HDMI in and 2 Out (But the out both send the same feed) - this drives the home theatre audio

* And a NAD receiver that drives the living room audio.

* A Nas box with music

* A Control 4 HC 300

For Components I have:

* Bell 9200 HD PVR which has the HDMI going into the Pioneer and optical cable for audio going into the pioneer

* AppleTV HDMI going into the Pioneer and optical cable for audio going into the pioneer

* PS3 HDMI going into the Pioneer

* XBOX 360 HDMI into the Pioneer and optical cable for audio going into the pioneer

I had to run the optical into the pioneer so that the audio could be passed to the NAD and delivered to the upstairs. Unfortunately the PS3 can't do both HDMI and optical so I can't use the PS3 upstairs.

Future:

I am looking at adding in the 4Zone amp and removing the NAD receiver so that I can have more flexibility and listen to different things in a variety of zones and add more zones. Ideally I would like to watch something in the theatre and listen to music in the living room or vice versa.

To enable this it sounds like I would have to do the following:

* Bell 9200 HD PVR which has the HDMI going into the Pioneer and optical cable for audio going into the New 4Zone AMP

* AppleTV HDMI going into the Pioneer and optical cable for audio going into the New 4Zone AMP

* PS3 HDMI going into the Pioneer

* XBOX 360 HDMI into the Pioneer and optical cable for audio going into the New 4Zone AMP

I am going to put speakers in the master bedroom and master bathroom as well as two other zones

But I was told that the 4zone amp doesn't have optical inputs but coax. I assume that are converters I could use, but the 4zone amp only has two digital inputs

Bottomline: Is this the best setup to do what I want ? Some user scenarios:

* Play XBox in the Theatre, listen to radio or mp3s in the living room

* Listen to music in the theatre while on the treadmill and watch TV in the living room, and listen to mp3s in master bedroom

I got burnt before by my dealer and not designing the best solution. I would love to add in the Video switcher as well so that I could watch two different sources in two different zones but that seems to pricey as of now.

Thanks for the feedback

Actual power output and sound quality.

Yes, they are still multi-room amplifiers, so they're not as powerful as something like monoblock power amps. That said, within the class of multi-room amplifiers, they're pretty respectable in power output, and the sound quality IMHO is affected much more by which speakers you use.

The amplifier's output is clean, and it uses a high quality amplifier block, and I haven't heard any complaints about the output quality.

If you want higher quality and power output, you're probably looking at amplifiers for each individual zone, which is going to get pretty pricey, and volume control may be an issue (the amplifier would need volume control in it's protocol to work well with Control4).

To the OP, good luck with your project.

RyanE

Archived