C4 Forums | Control4

New Use for Old Light Switches

ktraynham

With Home Composer 1.8.2, I am trying to use an existing (old) light switch to also toggle a lamp on and off on a wireless dimmer.  I tried the double- and triple-click, but any depression of the switch, no matter how brief or how long, turns on the associated lights and does not perform the programmed action.  I know this can be done because I have successfully configured a button on a six-button panel to toggle the lamp, but it seems impossible to do with with a switch, perhaps because I am trying to override a built-in action (which cannot be seen with Composer).

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Ken Traynham 

I should have explained that I want to use the existing rocker switch for its original purpose, turning on kitchen lights, and the added second purpose, toggling the pole lamp.  The programming does seem straightforward, and indeed it works when used with a button on a six-button panel (which is not in a convenient location), but when I try the same programming on the Kitchen light switch, the switch will only turn on the kitchen lights, regardless of whether I single-tap, double-tap, or triple-tap.  I am assuming the switch was set up at installation to respond to any kind of depression.  That programming is hidden from me, so I cannot alter it.  If it is necessary to get the dealer involved, I will do that, but would much rather not.

Thanks again,

Ken Traynham

Mhh. No if you program press/singletap etc on an normal switch, it should trigger your programming like any other button - provided it's a C4 switch of course. And provided it's actually connected to the system - can you trigger the kitchen light from a touchscreen or remote?

Archived