C4 Forums | Control4

Z2io & Fireplace

Time2Jet

I control my gas fireplace via a Z2io. For the longest time it was working wonderfully. I installed the hardware and Mitch programmed it (@msgreenf) perfectly on a countdown timer with a fireplace experience button. Worked flawlessly every time.

Fast forward 6 months to Christmas day. It just stopped. Couldn’t even get it to override via the mechanical low voltage switch (was have it setup to work that way as well). I gave up and figured I’d spend time on it this weekend if I’m home.

Well today, I came home and it’s working perfectly.

Can anyone think of an explanation? I don’t want “the network” to be the simple answer. Undoubtedly, the Zigbee signal has always suffered at that end of the house, but it never failed to fire each and every time for 6 months. I did install a bunch of C4 switches this weekend, and I’d imagine the timing (24 hours after beefing up the mesh) could be right. But would poor communication with the controller also cause the override to cease? Why all of the sudden? I was so frustrated that I don’t remember the error the driver was showing (...something “terminated” in the driver state).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Fireplace Z2io apparently isn't working again.  The behavior is that when I press the experience button the countdown timer shows as started and in approx 15 seconds shows it "off".  Like I mentioned, that part of the house has poor Zigbee for now (adding a bunch of switches), but is this behavior expected from a poor signal?  I don't understand why it "just" started happening, then without any change started working again, and now it's down again.

because I'm nosey and interested I connected into your project :)

your living room Z2IO as shown in the network zigbee tab has hardly 1 bar of signal.  That is likely your problem, just not reliable like that.  It is literally the single worst zigbee device on your project.  it is connected to your Front Door Lanterns for zigbee signal which i am going to say probably have some brick or other material separating that.

As a quick fix, unplug the Z2IO and see if it reconnects to a different zigbee host but you need more zigbee coverage in that area either via a zigbee hub or swithes/keypads.

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

because I'm nosey and interested I connected into your project :)

your living room Z2IO as shown in the network zigbee tab has hardly 1 bar of signal.  That is likely your problem, just not reliable like that.  It is literally the single worst zigbee device on your project.  it is connected to your Front Door Lanterns for zigbee signal which i am going to say probably have some brick or other material separating that.

As a quick fix, unplug the Z2IO and see if it reconnects to a different zigbee host but you need more zigbee coverage in that area either via a zigbee hub or swithes/keypads.

Haha!  The project is a mess right now.  I've been playing around with all sorts of stuff. 

Thanks Mitch.  It's really strange.  That device it hops from may be the furthest physically from the fireplace.  I'll try that Mitch.  I wonder if it being inside of the ice cold metal box has anything to do with it?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.