C4 Forums | Control4

on screen navigator and C4 buttton

Hi there,

sorry for the probably naive question... I have upgraded to 3.1 so my HC800 no  longer can be the on screen navigator.

I have an EA-1 in the same room and have hooked a small 10" HDMI display to it hoping to be able to use that as navigator for the room.

In connections, the room has the on screen device connected to the EA-1.

I can see the navigator screen on the HDMI display, however I cannot control it. I assumed that hitting the C4 button on that room's remote  (SR260) would allow me

to control the navigator on the EA-1 but this doesn't happen.

I am probably missing something obvious here...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rick

7 minutes ago, mstafford388 said:

did you also make the HDMI connection in Composer?  When you press the C4 button on the remote what does it say on the screen?

No, because this HDMI display is not in the system.

Do  I have to add a generic HDMI display / TV  to the project in order for this to work?

Rick

2 hours ago, mstafford388 said:

Yeah, you'll need to do something to create that video path.  

doesn't seem to work. I added a driver for a Panasonic TV and connected the video output of the EA1 to that but the C4 button is still ignored.

30 minutes ago, mstafford388 said:

How are you controlling the actual TV that is in there?  I'm guessing IR.  If it was IP the driver would probably have the correct inputs.  If it is IR I'd build a new driver for the TV with the correct inputs, problem solved. 

which TV? the main one has an IP driver. I don't understand why it would make a difference though...

Thanks

Rick

You can't edit the IP driver for the main TV which is why I asked.   I just reread your post and didn't initially realize you actually have 2 TVs in the room, thought one was virtual.  Control4 doesn't really have a great way to handle 2 displays in one room.  I suppose in this instance you could make the connection in composer to the main TV then in programming turn the small TV on and to the correct input.  That would change the input on the main TV as well though.  You could maybe get creative with a virtual HDMI switch.  How many inputs on the main TV are you using?

why oh why is it so difficult to hook a display to a seconday controller and have it become the on screen device for the room.

Now that HC800 has lost that ability they should have made that possible without too much fussing around...

Thanks for your offer but I like to solve my own problems myself will see if I find a way to have it work.

Thanks for the insights and help! Will post progress here if any...

Rick

1 hour ago, mstafford388 said:

You can't edit the IP driver for the main TV which is why I asked.   I just reread your post and didn't initially realize you actually have 2 TVs in the room, thought one was virtual. 

Yes one is virtual to create that HDMI path you mentioned above.   I have a home theater system (TV, Marantz AV, etc)  which has to remain the video endpoint, and the EA1 drives some old gear (777) and wanted it to become the OSD for the room using its video output.  Video is there but can't send it any command of course.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.