C4 Forums | Control4

Looking for Help to Build out my C4 System in Houston Area

RHowren

so i'm building a new house, and one of the perks i got was a control4 EA3 controller, 260 remote, and 7" touch screen included. the only additions i made were an Araknis 8-port POE switch they said i needed at install which now i realize i might've overpaid for ($600) and an Araknis VPN Router they said i needed to put the C4 system on its own network so its more stable ($400). so they got me for at least $1000 LOL.

i also prewired for multi room speakers and security cameras as the cost for the additional equipment was much higher than prices i found online to install it myself. Turns out i need a "dealer" or integrator to help me set up all the extras i want to add to my system? i was initially under the impression i could do it all myself if i wanted. i'm very new to Control4 so i don't know all the logistics yet on how this all works.

are there any other dealers or integrators in the Houston area other than ConnectOne? i'm open to a remote dealer as well if i'm given the freedom of having more than one option for certain items like cameras and AVR equipment. we should be moved in by the end of September so hoping to find someone ahead of time.

Can't say that their prices are high high for anything. Araknis is rally good quality and I agree you want to spend on your network as it will end up running just about everything in your home. 

There souls be plenty of dealers in your area. If you wanna go remote I am happy to help.

If you want to educate yourself on programming or what can be done we have a composer home training course launching today.

Patreon.com/waltstv

57 minutes ago, RHowren said:

so i'm building a new house, and one of the perks i got was a control4 EA3 controller, 260 remote, and 7" touch screen included. the only additions i made were an Araknis 8-port POE switch they said i needed at install which now i realize i might've overpaid for ($600) and an Araknis VPN Router they said i needed to put the C4 system on its own network so its more stable ($400). so they got me for at least $1000 LOL.

i also prewired for multi room speakers and security cameras as the cost for the additional equipment was much higher than prices i found online to install it myself. Turns out i need a "dealer" or integrator to help me set up all the extras i want to add to my system? i was initially under the impression i could do it all myself if i wanted. i'm very new to Control4 so i don't know all the logistics yet on how this all works.

are there any other dealers or integrators in the Houston area other than ConnectOne? i'm open to a remote dealer as well if i'm given the freedom of having more than one option for certain items like cameras and AVR equipment. we should be moved in by the end of September so hoping to find someone ahead of time.

It sounds like you're a DIY guy and would be well served by a remote dealer here, like myself and Matt. Those prices are not out of line, but any homeowner can setup an Araknis network. No dealer is required if you have the equipment, but a dealer often ends up doing it because not many homeowners have the skills.

And yes Control4 has to have a stable, compatible network environment and Araknis is an excellent and safe choice, even more so now that SnapAV owns Control4. Control4 does not require its "own" or separate network. Rather your home network needs to be setup professionally with compatible equipment, this is definitely a few steps up in sophistication from throwing in an ISP router and a couple of Wifi "boosters".

thanks guys! yes i am a DIY'er but IT stuff like this is still new to me. i can't just swing a hammer at this stuff to put it together like my other projects!

so do y'all as remote dealers help me pick out or sell the proper equipment i need for each add-on to the system, then remotely set it up on the system after i plug everything in, or is it up to me to purchase everything on my own then hire a dealer to integrate it?

looking at possibly a Denon-X3600H or X4500H AVR in the living to control the living TV, and Patio TV. i have conduit running from living to patio so i can hear patio TV through patio speakers. the only drawback to this one is i can't control all 4 zones of audio wired to the living room (living 5.1 surround sound, patio speakers, and 2 other room speakers).

i also have prewiring for 10 cameras inside and out. would prefer both audio & video, but stuck on what system i need. not looking to spend $4100 i've already been quoted

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.