C4 Forums | Control4

Ceiling speakers in sloped wall/ceiling

zaphod

My MBR has a very high, cathedral-type ceiling with a sloped wall that is more vertical than horizontal - I would guess the angle is about 15%.  I would like to put speakers into this wall that will be for music and C4 announcements that will be driven by a C4 matrix amp.  I have some spare ceiling speakers that I bought a few months back.

Any downside in using ceiling speakers on this "wall"?  I realize the sound will broadcast at a level that is too high to be optimal - but any other issues?

15% shouldn't cause any major sound projection issues. We've found that ~30% and up can cause some, but under that it's undetectable or at least not a bother.

As for using ceiling vs wall - at that slope it's probably better to use ceilings (although to be quite frank, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference either way for background music and announcements)

Thanks.  The room already has an AVR with surround sound and a smaller set of 5.1 speakers.  I will probably set these ceiling speakers up as a separate room so as to have a second audio endpoint.  Then I can use these speakers if I want for TV as well, assuming that there aren't sync issues.  They will be driven by a C4-8AMP1-B that will also drive additional zones in the adjacent MBR Bathroom and walk-in closet.

I was thinking of using one of the analog audio outs (like VCR out or Digital tape out) from the AVR to connect to the matrix amp - not sure if this will give proper sync or not.  Or I may actually just drop the AVR completely, and connect the (current) surround sound speakers to the matrix amp as a single zone with front and rear in parallel. If I do that I guess I will be down to 4-Ch stereo and no sub-woofer, but I rarely watch movies in the bedroom so that's not a big deal.  The one thing is I may need the AVR for HDMI video switching, or use a cheap Monoprice 1x4 HDMI switch controlled by IR.

3 hours ago, zaphod said:

"VCR Out" is just the label.  Presumably it is just an output that you could use.  There is also a Zone 2 analog audio output on my amp.  

Back in the day, VCR/DVR  in output pairs could either be loop outs, or a feedback ability to input other sources audio and video back to the vcr/dvr for both audio and video - just can't speak for whatever surround receiver you have which of the two it does. Regardless, they tended to be synced to source, in other words prior to audio being processed for surround, so I doubt they'd help sync.

Then again, not a huge deal to simply test it in the real world 🙂

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.