C4 Forums | Control4

Intermittent Zigbee problems - how to troubleshoot

I have had C4 for about 14 years.  In the early years I had the odd problem where some devices would seem to intermittently not work, but that may have been back in the embernet days.  For the last decade or so my system has bee rock solid.

But in the last few weeks I am having some issues.  In some parts of my house, and outside of my house, some of my C4 dimmers are not being controlled by keypads or the C4 app. And occasionally some of my remotes (SR250s or SR260s) are unresponsive.  This is an intermittent problem - 10 minutes later they will work.  Nothing new has been added to my house in terms of wireless devices that I can think of that would cause interference.  I have not changed I live on a large suburban lot (100'x300') so interference from the neighbours is possible but it should be limited. The problems seem to be occurring primarily at one end of my house - the east end.  I have two controllers acting as ZAPs - if that is the correct term.

Any ideas on how to try to troubleshoot these issues?

13 minutes ago, zaphod said:

I have had C4 for about 14 years.  In the early years I had the odd problem where some devices would seem to intermittently not work, but that may have been back in the embernet days.  For the last decade or so my system has bee rock solid.

But in the last few weeks I am having some issues.  In some parts of my house, and outside of my house, some of my C4 dimmers are not being controlled by keypads or the C4 app. And occasionally some of my remotes (SR250s or SR260s) are unresponsive.  This is an intermittent problem - 10 minutes later they will work.  Nothing new has been added to my house in terms of wireless devices that I can think of that would cause interference.  I have not changed I live on a large suburban lot (100'x300') so interference from the neighbours is possible but it should be limited. The problems seem to be occurring primarily at one end of my house - the east end.  I have two controllers acting as ZAPs - if that is the correct term.

Any ideas on how to try to troubleshoot these issues?

Following. We’ve had issues with all of our 6 button keypads. Someone won’t work at all for long periods of time during day. 

37 minutes ago, penn65000 said:

Following. We’ve had issues with all of our 6 button keypads. Someone won’t work at all for long periods of time during day. 

Are you sure it is the keypads or the devices that they are controlling, like dimmers?  When I have this issue I try to use the app to turn on the lights and when the app doesn't work either I figure it must be the dimmer that isn't working - but it could be both the dimmer and the keypad.

20 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Are you sure it is the keypads or the devices that they are controlling, like dimmers?  When I have this issue I try to use the app to turn on the lights and when the app doesn't work either I figure it must be the dimmer that isn't working - but it could be both the dimmer and the keypad.

When it happens the app doesn’t work either. These are latest gen 6 button. All of them will have, say, 20 second delay at time’s. Control4 has tried to fix as has diamond dealer. Adjusted Wi-Fi to signals not adjacent to zigbee. None of it worked. Swapping one particularly wonky one now. Hoping there’s new gen coming and I swap out all the 6 buttons. 

1 minute ago, penn65000 said:

When it happens the app doesn’t work either. These are latest gen 6 button. All of them will have, say, 20 second delay at time’s. Control4 has tried to fix as has diamond dealer. Adjusted Wi-Fi to signals not adjacent to zigbee. None of it worked. Swapping one particularly wonky one now. Hoping there’s new gen coming and I swap out all the 6 buttons. 

I'd the app doesn't work either then you have some programming or a bad driver that is driving up controller and locking it up. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.