C4 Forums | Control4

Black&Decker Doorlock Battery Life

dinosaur

I have had the new BD Doorlock for about 6 weeks. It's fully integrated into my C4 system with programming.

I have the LED turned off and the AUTOLOCK feature turned off (there are hardware switches on the lock to turn them off). I did this to save battery life.

HOWEVER, the battery life still is really bad! I change the batteries about every 2 weeks!!

I was using the Kirkland AA from Costco and I have also tried Energizer and Duracell. They all have similar life.

I'm going to try out some rechargeables and report back what I find.

Ouch. Every two weeks...that is unacceptable.

I read on hear somebody got a new "board" for theirs and it improved the battery life. Maybe they had a bad batch?

Maybe. I'll contact my dealer and see if he knows anything about the issue.

Thanks!

I'd check your sleep timer as Matt has said, and also verify that your deadbolt does not bind *at all* when it's extending and retracting.

I use Kirkland batteries, have my locks all set for auto lock, and I'd guess I go at least 6 months between battery changes on my most-used door.

Also, can you currently control your lock from Control4? There were reports that if the lock was not properly identified into the Control4 system, it would keep the ZigBee radio on searching for a network, and this could adversely affect battery life.

RyanE

How does the firmware get updated on the BD doorlock?

Thanks.

It is updated when your C4 system is upgraded to a new version that includes a firmware upgrade for the locks. For example your are running 1.8.2.56194 and your dealer upgrades you to 1.8.2.66691 your locks would get a firmware update because 1.8.2.66691 includes a firmware update for the B&D locks.

ZigBee firmware updates are tied to C4 OS systems upgrades. When your C4 system gets upgraded to a newer OS software version the firmware on ZigBee devices may be updated.

How does the firmware get updated on the BD doorlock?

Thanks.

It is updated when your C4 system is upgraded to a new version that includes a firmware upgrade for the locks. For example your are running 1.8.2.56194 and your dealer upgrades you to 1.8.2.66691 your locks would get a firmware update because 1.8.2.66691 includes a firmware update for the B&D locks.

ZigBee firmware updates are tied to C4 OS systems upgrades. When your C4 system gets upgraded to a newer OS software version the firmware on ZigBee devices may be updated.

Is the firmware pushed at a certain time of day after the C4 system is upgraded?

What if the update for the firmware fails? Is there a way to manually flash the updated firmware?

Thanks

I've seen these smartcode locks being sold for $70 on ebay. Is it the same locks? That's a big difference in price.

Unfortunately, those are "plain jane" smartcode locks. They don't have the ZigBee daughterboard which communicates with Control4.

Sorry.

RyanE

Is the firmware pushed at a certain time of day after the C4 system is upgraded?

Yes, by default it is pushed at something like 3AM or 2AM. There is a button sequence that is on the Control4 Dealer forums that causes the lock to start the update immediately.

What if the update for the firmware fails? Is there a way to manually flash the updated firmware?

Control4's over-the-air update process will continue to try updating the lock until it verifies that the firmware for the lock was updated successfully. There is no way for an end-user to manually flash the updated firmware onto the lock.

RyanE

Archived