C4 Forums | Control4

AMX Adopts HDBaseT for Long-Distance HDMI

AMX has announced the UTPro 8x8, which uses HDBaseT technology to deliver the audio, video and control functionality over a single Cat 5 (or better) cable up to 100 meters (330 feet).

The new UTPro 8x8 is now shipping at a retail price of $11,900. The price includes eight receiver units. This goes head to head with Crestron's DigitalMedia 8G (anyone know if that has a price yet?). This is obviously out of the price range of most C4 installations, but its exciting this technology is catching on. I'd like to see a third party developer make a unit that could be used with any home automation system, such as control4. Perhaps even scaled down 4x4 units that would be more affordable.

Let the HDBaseT video distribution war begin!

http://www.cepro.com/article/amx_adopts_hdbaset_for_long-distance_hdmi/D1/

amx_utpro_hdbaset_rear_550px.jpg

amx_hdmi_switcher_utp_kit.jpg

Wouldn't one of these with a control4 serial driver http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5307

Together with 4 of genfens HDbaseT HDMI with ethernet over cat5 extenders do what you are after?

This would be a great combo with HC200/300's out at the 'zones' :)

I'd love to know the answer, as this is a much better budget conscious proposition, suited to Control4, and most people don't need 3-4 zones as you say. But 3FB, the problem end users have is they are reluctant to commit to even this sort of purchase unless they know before hand that it will all work 100% guaranteed. no handshake problems, no driver problems etc etc.

So you need a dealer who has tried and used the equipment before. And stands by it. Or someone on the forums post a 'tested' solution.

And there is where the issue stops with me. There are no such dealers in my part of the world(that I have come across). I wouldn't want to be the testing bunny. It's OK for a $250 blu Ray spend, or even a $1000 TV. But a matrix switch solution is useless if it doesn't work or fit in with control4.

So why doesn't Control4 just test such a solution for it's dealers and customers.? The cost for Control4 would be minimal. A couple of grand, some old 100meter cat5 runs and 3-4 TV's and hdmi sources lying around the office. Heck. I'd test it for them if they contacted me and guarenteed to take back the gear if it didnt work. Or they could test it, then try it out at the next trade display. :be a A win win. They get a product solution that competes with the opposition. And dealers and customers get to buy a solution in confidence that it will work out of the box with their control4 set up.

Control4 doesn't because Control4 doesn't (except in certain situations) favor one partner over another, and Gefen is not currently a Control4 partner.

There are Control4 partners who make matrix switches, and there are dealers who use particular products who have made drivers for those products.

Control4 doesn't research everything new on the market for their dealers that would be complimentary (we've got enough to do already, thanks), but we support dealers and partners in making drivers for what *they* think would be good.

RyanE

There are Control4 partners who make matrix switches,

RyanE

Not a problem, Ryan. Happy to use them. But who are they? My Dealer doesn't know. So what chance do I?

The only HDMI matrix switch that they have any confidence in is a (hugely expensive opposition home automation product) matrix..not unlike the one above.

If you can point me to a "Control4 partner" 4x4 HDMI matrix over 100 meters. Guaranteed to work. No handshake problems. Please let me know.

Atlona 8x8:2 PRO HDMI Matrix Switch

http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-8x8-2-PRO-HDMI-Matrix-Switch-with-CAT5-6-and-Local-HDMI-Outputs-with-3D-Support.html

You'll need the inline amplifier to get 1000ft

http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-Twisted-Pair-Repeater-Module-designed-to-work-with-AT-PROHD88M-SR.html

I'm running this, quick source changes, haven't found a handshake problem, bulletproof via IP driver, I'm very happy

Depending on your assessment of "hugely expensive" --- MSRP $6500.

========================================================

Another plea contribute to use the C4DIY Wiki - what are the Matrix options?????

Atlona 8x8:2 PRO HDMI Matrix Switch

http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-8x8-2-PRO-HDMI-Matrix-Switch-with-CAT5-6-and-Local-HDMI-Outputs-with-3D-Support.html

You'll need the inline amplifier to get 1000ft

http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-Twisted-Pair-Repeater-Module-designed-to-work-with-AT-PROHD88M-SR.html

I'm running this, quick source changes, haven't found a handshake problem, bulletproof via IP driver, I'm very happy

Depending on your assessment of "hugely expensive" --- MSRP $6500.

========================================================

Another plea contribute to use the C4DIY Wiki - what are the Matrix options?????

I think Atlona is likely the company that will provide the first 3rd party HDBaseT switch that is C4 compatible. My hope with HDBaseT is that if the big boys (Samsung, Sony, LG, Vizio, etc) start manufacturing TVs and blu-ray players with HDBaseT inputs/outputs, the market for an HDBaseT video distribution switches will be significantly large, and 3rd party companies like Atlona will be able to mass produce an affordable all-in-one video distribution switch that has everything we want- 7.1 audio, control, all over a single cat5/6 cable.

Zektor is in development of this new technology also. We will have a display of our first HDMI over HDBastT at CEDIA. Lots of new products coming.

Good news! The AMX unit is out of the price range of 99% of Control4 users, so if Zektor could come up with an affordable alternative it would be very appealing. Look forward to this!

Archived