C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Media Player - supported formats at this time

thecodeman

I had posted this information elsewhere when the product launched but it seems that data is no longer on the page and isn't readily available elsewhere. So, in case anyone has one of these or is just curious as to what it will and will not play, here's the list of compatible formats. Control4 may or may not issue firmware updates to the device which may or may not affect the information below. We know about the shortcomings and lack of updates thus far - this thread is not intended to be a place to "beat a dead horse", just informational to help people who have the device.

File extension Video Format Audio Format HDMI Audio Support? S/PIDF Audio Support? Stereo Audio Support?

Video_TS (vob/ifo) MPEG2 AC3 YES YES YES

Video_TS (vob/ifo) MPEG2 DTS YES* YES* NO

ISO MPEG2 AC3 YES YES YES

ISO MPEG2 DTS YES* YES* NO

MP4 H264 AC3 YES YES YES

MP4 FFMPEG AC3 YES YES YES

AVI XVID AC3 YES YES YES

AVI XVID MP3 YES YES YES

AVI FFMPEG AC3 YES YES YES

AVI FFMPEG MP3 YES YES YES

*device capable of decoding DTS required

Most ISO, VOB, AVI, M4V, MP4, MPG, MOV (H.264), WMV files.

While some other formats as MKV may play, they are not officially supported.

The Media Player is designed to playback audio that is part of a video file. It supports:

LPCM

MPEG- 1

MPEG4 (AAC)

WMA (standard)

Dolby Digital (AC-3)

The Control4 media player does not support DVD menus, Blu-ray .iso files, Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD-Master Audio.

Does this mean that a person can use the HC200 or HC300 to play media such as an ISO over your network with video and audio? I thought that only audio can be played through the HC200/HC300...

I'm new to Control4 so still learning what can and can't be done....

Does this mean that a person can use the HC200 or HC300 to play media such as an ISO over your network with video and audio? I thought that only audio can be played through the HC200/HC300...

I'm new to Control4 so still learning what can and can't be done....

No, controllers dont play video - they only show the on screen navigator. This table is for Control4's Media Player.

http://control4.com/residential/products/av/media-player/

Ahhh... I didn't know they had such a product....

Currently, I'm using the Netgear 9150 for streaming but it looks like this may perform identically. Any idea on cost for the unit and any opinions on how it compares to a unit such as the Netgear 9150?

Currently, I'm using the Netgear 9150 for streaming but it looks like this may perform identically. Any idea on cost for the unit and any opinions on how it compares to a unit such as the Netgear 9150?

Your Netgear 9150 is head and shoulders above the C4 product.

There are plenty of discussions about this already, a quick search should yield sufficient results. Unfortunately it's already spread out around multiple threads.

Archived