C4 Forums | Control4

EV/Sonos Music Service Compatibility Checklist: New Sonos/EV updates!

turls

This thread is for tracking the services that Sonos offers/will offer and compatibility with EV's Sonos driver.

Basically, for every new service to be supported, EV has to do extra programming. Until that is done, you can still play other services, but you can't do it through the EV driver, and you get annoying limitations like not being able to choose channels directly through the C4 interface (they don't get added to the media cloud).

Note: according to Extra Vegetables it looks like the most recent Sonos update may have helped them with new service integration: "through Sonos Favorites you can access music from all Sonos music services on Control4." Reading between the lines and looking at the changelog this is part of the 7.0.6 EV Driver update.

It looks like this new "Favorites" option that Sonos added, along with the EV update compatible with it, solves a majority of issues with this driver and previously incompatible music services.

I was able to setup a favorite for recent Amazon MP3 purchases, and custom Slacker stations, and they play fine. Sonos support was able to help with a metadata issue with Slacker even though it is not officially supported. I think the fix for the driver for that will roll out soon.

I will try to update this list as these are added, if I have errors or miss something please post. I don't subscribe to all of these services, even some of the free ones.

Link to changelog on Sonos driver (in the past mentions if new services are added or in the pipeline):

http://www.extravegetables.com/helpdesk/knowledgebase.php?article=16

EV Sonos Driver support (Y-supported, N-unsupported)

Pandora: Y

Spotify: Y

Rhapsody: Y

Napster: Y (service discontinued (in US market at least), now Rhapsody)

iheartradio: Y

Sirius/XM: Y

Wolfgang's Vault: Y

Last.FM: Y

Rdio: Y

Tunein: Y (add as favorite in Sonos, and then it will auto-populate in the EV driver)

Aupeo: N

Stitcher: N

Dar.FM: N

MOG: N

Slacker: N

Songza: N

Amazon Cloud Player: N

7digital: N (Sonos Labs)

Hearts of Space: N (Sonos Labs)

Rdio works through the EV/Sonos Driver

Ok, I fixed that. I was just going off of the list on EV's website since I didn't have the system in front of me. I forgot to check the release notes for updates, that's the only place they mention Rdio I think. So that was the last new service they added and that was over a year ago...just the facts.

• 1 month later...

Latest changelog entry:

6.0.7 - 15 August 2012

Nothing new as far as keeping up with Sonos options...also MOG got bought by Dr Dre Beats earlier in the summer so that makes that service potentially a little higher profile.

• 1 month later...
Would like to see MOG added as well as Songza. For anyone who hasn't played with this service yet I highly recommend it. I think these guys could eventually take down Pandora, its that good!

Hard to envision that happening when you have to pay $10 a month to get mobile streaming. I'm all for higher quality streams though.

I guess I need to see if the free version supports Sonos...well no it does not.

Rdio, MOG, and Rahpsody, and Spotify all cost. Rdio and MOG currently have the highest quality stream. I've tried them all, my opinion and its only my opinion, Rdio and MOG are superior services to the others. So I'd just like to see MOG supported like the other paid services. Of course there is huge talk about forcing these services to pay higher royalties which would drastically change the nature of streaming as we know it.

Songza is completely free, at this time.

• 2 months later...

Continues to be pretty much dead on new services being added. Not sure if they haven't added some of the newer big name ones by now what will push them to do it in the future.

I cleaned up the first post a little and added a link to the change log. It isn't like there isn't still work being done on the driver.

• 4 weeks later...

Added this: Note: according to Extra Vegetables it looks like the most recent Sonos update may have helped them with new service integration: "through Sonos Favorites you can access music from all Sonos music services on Control4." Reading between the lines and looking at the changelog this is part of the 7.0.6 EV Driver update.

Great news:

It looks like this new "Favorites" option that Sonos added, along with the EV update compatible with it, solves a majority of issues with this driver and previously incompatible music services.

I was able to setup a favorite for recent Amazon MP3 purchases, and custom Slacker stations, and they play fine. Sonos support was able to help with a metadata issue with Slacker even though it is not officially supported. I think the fix for the driver for that will roll out soon.

Archived