C4 Forums | Control4

URC

Depending on how you get your Cameras into your project, you may not need the OSD to view them on the TV.  Cameras are also view able on touchscreens, phone, etc.  For example, I went with an IP matrix (not HdBaset) and my cameras are just another source, so I just click watch > driveway camera and that camera will appear on the TV.  watch > dvr gives me Cable tv box, watch > blu ray for DVD player, etc  you see what I mean.  If your NVR is in your matrix, you could probably do watch > NVR and get a grid style screen with a few cameras as well.

The SR 250 or the new SR 260 can control everything without the OSD menu.  the remote are your typical stick/wand style, and very easy to use.

For clarification, it is not one or the other. Most systems with DVR/NVR have a source into the matrix as well as cameras on the C4 OSD.

Sweet.... all the more reason that I only need to start with two controllers.

If I'm doing lighting in six rooms, is there any reason that I need to do a full Lutron solution (that I would integrate into C4 anyway)?  Seems like it would be easiest to just buy the C4 switches and integrate them.

The lutron vs c4 integration is a little different.

For instance if you want to hit up on a keypad in your theater room to start your directv activity you can do so with c4 lighting you can not with lutron

I also like with c4 laughing a normal dimmer can mimick (kinda) a 6 button keypad (two down,two up etc)

Sweet.... all the more reason that I only need to start with two controllers.

If I'm doing lighting in six rooms, is there any reason that I need to do a full Lutron solution (that I would integrate into C4 anyway)?  Seems like it would be easiest to just buy the C4 switches and integrate them.

In your scenario I would suggest c4 lighting, mostly because the additional functionality it provides with tracking scenes, led functionality and most importantly zigbee coverage. (oh and it's cheaper...)

That said, just to play devils advocate lutron is a big player in the lighting industry and historically has been the most reliable and consistent option period. It works with basically any residential automation system and works standalone. So for example you move to a new house and you take your control4 gear, the purchaser can simply use the lutron app or a different automation hardware and keep the switches.

Typically, IMHO the biggest driver for residential adoption of Lutron is that Lutron offers a much larger variety of styles and colors.

If the 'designer' on the project is speccing the lights, they might spec Lutron.

If you're more about functionality and Control4's selection of colors / finishes works for you, the Control4 lights will integrate *much better* in the Control4 system, and will likely be much less expensive (due to no Lutron programming, no setting up Lutron drivers within Control4, etc.)

RyanE

Archived