C4 Forums | Control4

Just upgraded to Epson 6040UB projector -is there an IP driver?

I just upgraded to this projector from my 6030 yesterday.  So far enjoying the picture and the nice upgrades.  I see that it now supports a LAN connection in the back.  Wireless is available with a wireless USB module.  I noticed in the menu there is the ability to turn on Control 4 SDDP discovery.  Can anyone confirm that there is a Control 4 bidirectional IP driver available and how well it works?  It will be nice to move off the Epson 6020 IR drivers I've been using to date, which are unreliable for turning the projector off in some AV modes.

Thanks!

Chuck

This was just spec'd for my theater.  I am very interested in your review as my installer will not be to my house until Nov. 4th.  

I am planning on pairing it with the new Marantz 6011 or possibly leaving the Onkyo Tx NR-1000 in the rack.  

Thoughts are appreciated

Peter

The projector is great. Much brighter and better picture than the 6030. Am having to figure out how to get the HDR settings to work. Currently my only UHD source is a Roku Ultra which just came out. For whatever reason the Roku doesn't recognize my projector as a valid HER source. My avr is a Yamaha 3050.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally didn't compare to the Sony, but based on reviews and my personal experience owning one I'll say that the black levels are  great, plenty of light output for a room like mine (mixed media room with side ambient light and mixed use) so those 2K+ lumens (love Bright Cinema mode) make TV watching very viewable during the day.  Also based on total cost of ownership getting a full 3 year warranty, with a mount, glasses etc makes this pretty hard to touch at the price point.  The way I looked at it my dream projector would be 3000 lumens, laser projection supporting 4K native and HDR, it actually exists and its from JVC but its 34K!!  Basically the way projector technology evolves in the next technology cycle, higher output, potential laser light source and a native 4K chip could be in the cards (say 2019) potentially pushed there by more content, competition from ACEr/BENQ/JVC/Sony..but for now I can enjoy the 4K streaming content and a UHD Blu Ray.

Curious to hear from other Epson 6040 who integrate it into C4 with the new IP driver.  I want to know whether I should use the WLAN module and save an ethernet run for a balun use instead.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm using the IR driver as I just power on and power off. Any reason to go with IP control over that?  My guess is C4 knows the state of the device better via IP over IR?  I've had no issues with the projector but created a custom button for POWER in the event the IR command does not trigger.

I'm using the IR driver as I just power on and power off. Any reason to go with IP control over that?  My guess is C4 knows the state of the device better via IP over IR?  I've had no issues with the projector but created a custom button for POWER in the event the IR command does not trigger.

IP is just cleaner. More reliable, discrete codes with feedback and no IR bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

Pardon the Necropost...

I'm going to install the 5040UB in my theater and I'd like to be able to take advantage of the projector's lens memory features to store different zoom settings for 16:9 and 2.35 content on a Cinemascope screen. There's two buttons on the remote "Lens 1" and "Lens 2", to recall the first two stored settings. Does anyone have experience with a C4 driver accessing any of the more advanced features of this projector besides basic power on/power off?

21 hours ago, livitup said:

Pardon the Necropost...

I'm going to install the 5040UB in my theater and I'd like to be able to take advantage of the projector's lens memory features to store different zoom settings for 16:9 and 2.35 content on a Cinemascope screen. There's two buttons on the remote "Lens 1" and "Lens 2", to recall the first two stored settings. Does anyone have experience with a C4 driver accessing any of the more advanced features of this projector besides basic power on/power off?

pretty simple to just program custom buttons and/or the 1 and 2 for those...

Archived