C4 Forums | Control4

RCA TV Driver

Kidsat

Is there an RCA tv driver that supports HDMI outputs?
My dealer is telling me there is not. But is there not a generic tv driver that will work?
TV is RCA RTR3261
You can make an ir driver

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

How in the world would a generic tv driver know any IR codes?

I'm assuming you mean inputs not outputs.

It's not a big issue to create new basic IR drivers for your dealer, what I'm guessing is that you need to switch inputs on the TV, THAT is going to be a problem UNLESS your original remote has direct input selection buttons on it, which is extremely unlikely. What's more, from my experience RCA TVs don't even have 'hidden' codes TO select inputs.

I cannot be sure of the limitations on your specific model TV of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is where, no, a driver cannot simply be made, and i it can be made at all it is likely to be very unreliable. At the very least, the answer is much more complex than the question may seem.

If you're willing to invest the time (and possibly money) you could look and see i Harmony has a driver with discrete input codes - if it does, a driver could be made.

'Course, by the time you bought a Harmony, your dealer charges to build the driver, it might be cheaper to get a different TV.

Oh and I looked at that TV, it is very likely there are no input selections indeed as it's a Roku TV...

BUT with that all said and done, there MAY just be a good way to make this work.

The following is based on what I did for a sharp roku TV, I cannot know if it will work for the RCA version.

That TV is a Roku TV. All you really need is a driver to turn it on and off (and maybe volume) which you could learn from the original remote for the TV - once turned on you could use the Roku driver to control it! Yes that includes input selection, as well as roku control, but it requires some programming.

First of all set all unused inputs to such in Roku.

Assuming you're just feeding a central video switch or single device:

WHEN [room] video selection is changed
delay 500ms (important to make sure Roku is ready to respond - 500 ms was enough for a sharp version but may need adapting)
IF [room is on]
	IF CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE IS NOT Roku
		Select channel [xxxxx] (whatever you named that input in the roku interface)
	IF CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE IS Roku
		press home on the roku

If you are using multiple inputs it gets more complex:

WHEN [room] video selection is changed
delay 500ms (important to make sure Roku is ready to respond - 500 ms was enough for a sharp version but may need adapting)
IF [room is on]
	IF CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE IS xxxxx (ie satellite)
		Select channel [XXXXX] (whatever you named that input in the roku interface but i suggest using the same or near the same)
	IF CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE IS yyyyy (ie game)
		Select channel [YYYYY] 
	IF CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE IS Roku
		press home on the roku

repeat the if device is as many times as needed

Archived