C4 Forums | Control4

Audio over HC250 from TV, down to SONOS input, up to speakers

Hey guys, 
So I have been reading A LOT of information, and there is an old post where I had brought up similar ideas in the past, but I can't find a consensus answer on this so I am hoping someone has on hand experience. 

I want to take the line out from my TV, and patch that down using the audio in and audio out on the HC250 I have mounted behind the tv as a navigator, and run that down to my HC 800. I then want to run that line into my SONOS connect for TV audio in. 

So here is the back information. 

1. I have 18 SONOS zones now, mix of connects, connect amps, and a couple play/sonos ones. I use it for my audio matrix. It works great. Some people on here are adamant that you can't use it for a matrix, but I do and it is awesome. I have several sources going into it, and I never have voice sync delays to video unless I have compression turned on, in the SONOS settings. But it is not needed. 

2. I have read some things about using the navigators for TV does not work. Because the C4 controllers are always high compression and no matter what will cause a delay on voice sync. But, I can't find a solid answer on this. 

3. The only reason I am trying this is a lack of good audio baluns that I am able to source right now. 

4. The zones I want to do this on, I have the Sony TV's with built in android TV. Instead of using these zones with the primary plex box I have downstairs that is distributed to all Tv's, it is easier to just use the local TV plex and the local TV netflix. I also cut cable now, so I have an OTA going to an HDHomeRun which means on the Sony TV's that the sound is all done locally. So no matter what I need to patch the audio down to the rack, where I can pipe it in to the SONOS virtual matrix. 

Ideally, if I could find a decent digital audio balun for $50, I would run this down to the SONOS input and just use it. I haven't been able to source anything though. 

Thanks in advance guys!

Encoding the audio out of the TV into the hc-250 through digital media into your Sonos amp for distribution will give you a delay for sure nothing you can do to remedy that part. Also unless the TV audio out is fixed at full line level the volume would be unusable so are you using the TV speakers in that room or is there an external amp or surround sound receiver

If you have Hardline ethernet to the TV but not extra cabling to home run it back you could run it over a set of Dante receivers and transmitters but again the TV audio out will have to be fixed not variable. Either that or put a sonos Sound bar in that room and use the sonos app to select the tv audio out for your sonos zones

Audio can be fixed. That isn't an issue. 

I use Sonos for volume not the tv. 

I have 16-4, 4 spare cat6 and one coax not being used all back down to the rack. I can use a baking but I am.bot aware of any good decent priced options for optical over cat5 baluns. 

Where are you thinking the delay will be? Hc250 in to hc800 out?

Using any of the C4 audio inputs will introduce about a 3-4 second delay on the audio.

So, no, your theory won't work for video audio.

Spend the money on an optical to coaxial converter that will downmix Dolby.  Then use that RG6 to carry the digital coaxial to your rack.

OP do you have a sonos sound bar in that room or are you using a connect amp for speakers? Not sure if Dolby is even a concern so just convert toslink to stereo and balun it back to the rack over cat6. If you already have the tv out into a sonos device can't you not select that in your other sonos zones using their app?

Even if PCM is set on the audio out in the menu? I didn't catch that it was a Sony because I was answering the first section of the post and didn't scroll down to the back story part of his setup. Most I have ran into have both toslink and analog out so a converter may not be needed at all and just ballon that into the analog input of the connect amp and set it to Auto on when signal is present

On 2/19/2018 at 9:43 AM, sonic30101 said:

OP do you have a sonos sound bar in that room or are you using a connect amp for speakers? Not sure if Dolby is even a concern so just convert toslink to stereo and balun it back to the rack over cat6. If you already have the tv out into a sonos device can't you not select that in your other sonos zones using their app?

Yeah, but the other question posed is what balun? I haven't been able to source anything acceptable. It is rediculous to spend $200 for an audio balun. 
I did just today, finally get a muxlab stereo balun (which is all I need in these rooms). 

I can't to do a soundbar. These rooms don't support any other gear. It is just a TV floating on the wall in spaces built specifically for the tv's. Everything is hidden. 

On 2/19/2018 at 11:05 AM, lippavisual said:

Well if he's using the Sony TV apps, you definitely want the Dolby version.  Sony does output Dolby so if the converter isn't rated for it, no audio.

I just went for headphone out, stereo. This will be fine for these rooms. I am not looking for "good" sound in these rooms. I am looking for just sound that is all from the same source. We already have the inceiling speakers. I just don't want to switch back and forth. I will hook up the muxlab soon and see how it does. 

7 hours ago, badjesus said:

I just went for headphone out, stereo. This will be fine for these rooms. I am not looking for "good" sound in these rooms. I am looking for just sound that is all from the same source. We already have the inceiling speakers. I just don't want to switch back and forth. I will hook up the muxlab soon and see how it does. 

That is sounds like the right choice to me since Sonos connect amps don't have digital input so hauling it down to the rack in anything other than analog is a waste

On 2/23/2018 at 5:01 AM, sonic30101 said:

That is sounds like the right choice to me since Sonos connect amps don't have digital input so hauling it down to the rack in anything other than analog is a waste

Oh yeah, good point. I guess the fiber and dig coax are out's not in. 

Archived