C4 Forums | Control4

New Home - Help

Michael Hartung

I am looking to do a Control4 System in my new house and I need some help. What kind of controller do you recommend? I have speakers throughout the house 12 right now. Would like to use sonos and hAve different zones for the audio.

Speaker Setup: 

Configure I would like:
Basement - 4 speakers 2 subs with TV connection and 2-4 other speakers
Garage - 4-6 Speakers 2 subs 
Kitchen - 2 Speakers
Family Room - 4 Speakers ( maybe 2 of those be subs) want sound for TV
Master Bedroom - 2 Speakers want sound for TV  
Bedroom 1 - 2 speakers
Bedroom 2 - 2 speakers 

Want house is wired for: 

Basement- Nothing 
Kitchen - 2 
Family Room - 4 Speakers 
Master Bedroom - 2 Speakers
Bedroom 1 - 2 Speakers
Bedroom 2 - 2 Speakers
Garage - Nothing 

* Each Room has a volume control and all wires go to basement there are 6 total wires 

House has 6 total TVs, 3 Apple TVs, 1 blu Ray player, 1 Xbox. Would like the blu Ray be able to play from any tv. I will also do lighting and thermostat, and security. Would like it to be controlled from a iPad. Is there a device that sits behind tv and  a network wire goes to the basement and the box connects ir to TVs. What equipment would i need to make this work? Would the EA3 work? Trying to do this Lowest cost as possible

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Michael Hartung said:

I am looking to do a Control4 System in my new house and I need some help. What kind of controller do you recommend? I have speakers throughout the house 12 right now. Would like to use sonos and hAve different zones for the audio.

Speaker Setup: 

Configure I would like:
Basement - 4 speakers 2 subs with TV connection and 2-4 other speakers
Garage - 4-6 Speakers 2 subs 
Kitchen - 2 Speakers
Family Room - 4 Speakers ( maybe 2 of those be subs) want sound for TV
Master Bedroom - 2 Speakers want sound for TV  
Bedroom 1 - 2 speakers
Bedroom 2 - 2 speakers 

Want house is wired for: 

Basement- Nothing 
Kitchen - 2 
Family Room - 4 Speakers 
Master Bedroom - 2 Speakers
Bedroom 1 - 2 Speakers
Bedroom 2 - 2 Speakers
Garage - Nothing 

* Each Room has a volume control and all wires go to basement there are 6 total wires 

House has 6 total TVs, 3 Apple TVs, 1 blu Ray player, 1 Xbox. Would like the blu Ray be able to play from any tv. I will also do lighting and thermostat, and security. Would like it to be controlled from a iPad. Is there a device that sits behind tv and  a network wire goes to the basement and the box connects ir to TVs. What equipment would i need to make this work? Would the EA3 work? Trying to do this Lowest cost as possible

Thanks!

Id get the Ea 5 at that size.  Any reason you are married to Sonos?  Use the EA5 and put the money there and ditch sonos to cut back 

my two cents

Price per room with sonos as the amp is not worth it with the number of speakers you want. Better to do audio matrix, avrs in basement and family room, zone amps for the rest and distribute sources accordingly on the audio side. You could still toss 2 sonos connects in the rack and it would cost either the same or less and get you more power and flexibility

Ea5 or ea3 in the basement and definitely ea1 in family and maybe master if budget allows for zigbee coverage and OSD. Then the next step is video sources and weighing localized vs distributed which is a whole other subject  

Do you think would need for than one processor for the whole house? Is there a device that sits behind tv that connect network cat to the processor? I am looking for exact models of all the equipment i would need. What kind of audio matrix and how am amps etc. Appreciate it!

For audio matrix - are you looking at just audio distribution like music or do you want video distribution and you need to send around the audio of a movie or cable box or something to various rooms.  If you want the video piece depending on what technology you use you may need a lip sync delay feature.  Control4 makes a matrix that most use.  I use a video storm matrix because I have a video system that needed sync delay and at the time the old c4 matrix didn’t have that feature. 

Control4 has amps or you can search here for other multi channel amps. 

Each processor can output 1 UI on the tv at a time.  I’m in a 2 person house so we have our controller in a video matrix and we share the source.  Honestly we use it almost never.  We use hand held remotes, wall touch screens or wall buttons and voice control.  In the house we rarely use the app or on screen UI because it’s just extra clicks. 

1 hour ago, sonic30101 said:

Price per room with sonos as the amp is not worth it with the number of speakers you want. Better to do audio matrix, avrs in basement and family room, zone amps for the rest and distribute sources accordingly on the audio side. You could still toss 2 sonos connects in the rack and it would cost either the same or less and get you more power and flexibility

Ea5 or ea3 in the basement and definitely ea1 in family and maybe master if budget allows for zigbee coverage and OSD. Then the next step is video sources and weighing localized vs distributed which is a whole other subject  

I love Sonos and have in our house, but looking at your size I total agree with the above and would go for a EA5, plus a couple of EA1 

On video have a look at Video Storm to see if that fits the bill 

@Michael Hartung 

This guy does a decent job breaking it down from a $$$ standpoint that just from an audio standpoint c4 is better once you get into higher zone numbers. Then you get the added benefit of a single interface to control the other aspects of the house so you dont juggle x, y, and z apps to get through the day. Video is a whole other subject. Im not going to get too terribly deep because you need to sit down with a dealer and discuss the wants/needs with someone so you get a quote to meet your expectations because EVERY system is different to tailor it to the user. Feel free to ask questions or ask for recommendations after getting a quote but you need someone to design a system for you. 

Yeah it’s not easy spec’ing a full system online.  You seem to want specific item numbers.  Most of this stuff is custom install so finding MSRP pricing online is not easy 

video storm has netplay home which you can buy direct and they just updated their page to give a helpful calculator of what you need for video distribution.  https://www.video-storm.com/residential.asp

that is for video.  You would need their audio matrix too so budget about 2k for that device.  Amps have varied pricing.  Not sure of the c4 amp msrp these days.  Some of those are multi speaker rooms so you may need an AVR etc.  it’s not a simple plug and play setup. 

Archived