C4 Forums | Control4

Triggering actions from Sonos state

ActiveSauce

I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to trigger actions in Control4 from changes to Sonos state that happened outside of Control4. 

There are two situations I'm trying to address:

1. Alexa now allows using a Sonos device as the default music device. So I can say "Alexa, play Rolling Stones" and it will play on the Sonos. However, because my main Sonos is a Connect, attached to an AVR, this doesn't actually do anything unless the AVR is already on and set to the right input. 
  2. Sometimes someone in the house will use the Sonos app instead of the Control4 app to turn on the music. But again, because the AVR is not on, nothing happens.

I'd love to have something like "When Sonos Connect starts playing, turn on the AVR and switch it to the Sonos input." I poked around in Composer Home and didn't see anything obvious, but some of the Sonos stuff in there isn't totally clear. Is anyone aware of a way to do this?

(Yes, I can try to train everyone in the house to always use Control4, but that's been an ongoing project for some time... And yes, I can make Voice Scenes to have Alexa turn on stuff in Control4, but the phrasing is so awkward. I'd really like to have Alexa's normal "play" music commands do the right thing in Control4.)

Thanks! I don't know why I didn't see that before. That definitely helps.

I'm still having a problem, in that it seems to turn on the AVR but not correctly select the input. So if I was last watching TV in the room, and later come back and turn on Sonos, the Sonos begins playing and the AVR turns on, but it remains on the TV input so I'm hearing TV audio. Is this something I can correct in HE, or do I need my dealer to fix it? I was thinking I could potentially program something that watches the play state of the Sonos and then switches the room input based on that, but it seems hacky, and like there should be a better way. I looked at all of the properties in the driver (and read the documentation tab) and I didn't see anything obvious.

You could do a workaround in programming.  I haven't tested this, but it should work:

Under the Sonos device on the programming tab, expand the 'device variables' and click on the PLAYING variable

When PLAYING changes

? if PLAYING status is true (under Sonos variable conditionals)

- Select the sonos device as the audio device for the room (selected by clicking on the room name)

Archived