C4 Forums | Control4

light switch problem

I have a light switch connected with 14pcs 28W T5 tube. It's unable to turn off them after few days the switch was installed. I tried to cut the power from the circuit box for overnight, but don't work. Search some posts here and found the problem may cause by the huge inrush current. I also concluded 2 solutions I can try:

1. replace the switch with a dimmer

2. install a high current relay

If I go for solution 1, is that just replace and ask dealer to add it into my project is fine? Do I need to do setup or programming behind?

For solution 2, can anyone provide more information like where can get the relay and how to install it?

Thanks!!

Another thing to look at (perhaps for the future) is installing an 'in-rush current limiting (ICL) resistor'. These have a high resistance when cold, and drops as they warm up (from the current going through them).

I have about 1300W of FL tubes lights on a switch with an ICL, and it works great. You have to be careful mounting them though, since they do get hot during use.

Something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-GE-STM-CL-40-ICL-Circuit-Protection-Thermistors-/220520538340?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33580c60e4

Solution #3, well not a permanent one, is to:

-cut the power

-unscrew the switch and pull it partway out

-give it a few good whacks with the back of a screwdriver on the sides and back of the switch

-put everything back in and turn on the power

Did it to mine and it's been working ever since.

kevvo:

tried your solution, it really work :D. seems there's a micro magnetic switch inside, the huge inrush current made it malfunction.

MHotchin:

the ICL in the ebay link is GE GTM CL-40, is that exactly the one you are using now? is that serially mount between the loading and light switch through the loading wire?

It's a stop-gap solution. It'll happen again... I moved to a $20 Lowes in-wall motion switch and like it better as I can control off of specific movement in the area.

yup, I really don't want to give a whack everyday, I would prefer give it to my dealer:P

Does the Lowes in-wall motion switch can be remoted by C4? but the power supply here is 220v, so most likely it won't work in my area..

Thx~

kevvo:

MHotchin:

the ICL in the ebay link is GE GTM CL-40, is that exactly the one you are using now? is that serially mount between the loading and light switch through the loading wire?

Not exactly, the one's I bought are rated for 12 amps. Same form factor though. It is serially mounted. Because of re-wireing, I had a 4 gang box that had only two devices in it, so I made sure the ICL ended up in one of the empty areas so it can disapate its heat.

It looks like for your application your steady current draw is about 3.5 amps. I don't know how closely matched the ICL max current has to be to the expected draw.

• 2 weeks later...

Worked perfectly. Just spit in the back and whomp it on the side like Andy Griffith in No Time For Sergeants.

How do I keep it from happening again, again? Call an electrician? Or is there something that I can put in the box myself?

Kevin

Archived