C4 Forums | Control4

Installing Cree LED CR6 Can Lights Today

BlueWater84

I have about 100 of these in a new construction house (they are the HD Ecosmart version.) I only have a few C4 dimmers and switches in so far but they seem to work fine. I have a single one on a dimmer (std not elv) and it works as well. I like these but in the Kitchen I have Cree LR6C-DR1000 in 3500K neutral white and they are killer with incredible light output for 12.5 watts but much more expensive.

I have about 100 of these in a new construction house (they are the HD Ecosmart version.) I only have a few C4 dimmers and switches in so far but they seem to work fine. I have a single one on a dimmer (std not elv) and it works as well. I like these but in the Kitchen I have Cree LR6C-DR1000 in 3500K neutral white and they are killer with incredible light output for 12.5 watts but much more expensive.

says it works with incandscent dimmers........you wouldnt need ELV

PRETTY COOL.

Looks great! How many do you have to run t push enough load on the dimmer switch? Aren't those 9.5 watts each? Will your dimmer work off of one LED can?

I am thinking about these for a project soon.

They are 10.5 watts each...I'm very impressed with the light they put out. I don't have a single can on a switch but my hallway switch is only for 2 cans and it is works well.

The Ecosmart version is $40 at Home Depot and it looks like the new version is 9.5 watts. Mine are 10.5 watts and I was able to find quantity discounts when I got them last April searching online.

Where is the best place to get these? Anyone have quantity discounts?

I was planning on purchasing mine online from Amazon but my contractor was able to match their pricing so I just let him get them from a local supply house for me.

There are 6" and 4" versions at Home Depot. You can buy the 4-pack online for a slightly lower price (free shipping). The EcoSmart ones are in fact CREEs.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202753737/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053

Btw, these LED downlights will last about 32 years @ ~3hrs/day.

Not sure if it's locality, but my area Home Depot has single 6" ones for $29.97. They also have 14-Watt (75W) BR30 LED Flood Light Bulbs for $29.97

If only the ecosmart lamps were 3500K. I prefer the whiter color temp over the 2700K warmer, especially in the kitchen

I agree a 3500K CR6 would have been a home run. The LR6C light is great though but nearly twice the cost and it is a shallower recess than the CR6. I wound up getting some of the deep recess LR6C units so they would all match more or less. FYI they don't dim quite as well as the CR6 units (spec sheet lists 20%.) The CR6s dim to almost nothing.

There are 6" and 4" versions at Home Depot. You can buy the 4-pack online for a slightly lower price (free shipping). The EcoSmart ones are in fact CREEs.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202753737/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053

Btw' date=' these LED downlights will last about 32 years @ ~3hrs/day.[/quote']

Not sure if it's locality, but my area Home Depot has single 6" ones for $29.97. They also have 14-Watt (75W) BR30 LED Flood Light Bulbs for $29.97

It does vary by locality. Last year in MA the electric company was subsidizing them and they were $20. I think that is where all of the discounted ones on ebay came from.

I have 3 of the BR30 Ecosmart LEDs on a C4 dimmer and they work well also. I think I am going to put those in all of my outside floodlights and dim them during the night. I am considering bypassing the motion in the floodlight fixtures and placing CA motion sensors outside. Then I could have them on dim during the night and go to full brightness with motion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've got the Lr6's and am having two problems...

1. They "pulse" on... Almost like one flicker when the key pad on button is pushed then they are at 100% brightness.

2. They dim to about 60% then shut down.

Any words of advice? Sorry to thread jack

I've got the Lr6's and am having two problems...

1. They "pulse" on... Almost like one flicker when the key pad on button is pushed then they are at 100% brightness.

2. They dim to about 60% then shut down.

Any words of advice? Sorry to thread jack

I have 10 of the LR6C-DR1000 lights on one switch. When I put the control4 dimmer in they did flicker on turning on. I think because ramping up from 0% was below the minimum dim level. I set the cold start level to 15% and the minimum on level to 8%. They start nicely without flickering and will reliably dim to 8% on the C4 dimmer. I don't know what the actual light output is at that level. Cree lists the specs at dimming down to 20% which look like about what I am getting, certainly a lot lower than 60%.

I also have 4 LR6C-DR650s on a dimmer that did not flash but I still set the min cold start to 15% and the minimum on to 6% and they work well also. They dim to a little less than the DR1000s but are not as bright as the 1000s to start (650 lumens vs 1000).

I have Ecosmart CR6s in the rest of the house and they dim to almost nothing. My kids love them and use them as a night light to go to sleep at 3 or 4%. I have not set any minimums on those.

Archived