C4 Forums | Control4

Room off doesn't turn off Onkyo receiver

I'm using the Onkyo TX-NR3008 receiver in my theater room (I've used both serial and IP drivers) and I can control it perfectly except for one thing: turning it off. When the Off button is sent for the theater room, everything else turns off as programmed, except the receiver. If I reboot the controller (I hate doing that), then it turns it off just fine for a few times, then it won't anymore. I've attached three Director logs of a scenario of selecting the PS3, I wait 30 seconds, then turn the room off. Here are some notes from the logs (see attached zipped file, open them in Excel to reference the lines):

1 - Log with working IP driver (just after adding it into Composer):

423: Selecting Onkyo Receiver

2651: Room_Off (command is sent)

2671: Off on Onkyo Receiver (receiver is turned off correctly)

2 - Log with failing driver (this was just a few days after #1 above):

386: Selecting Onkyo Receiver

3250: Room_Off (command is sent)

There is no Off on Onkyo Receiver after this, so the receiver just stays on.

3 - Log after rebooting the controller:

316: Selecting Onkyo Receiver

2693: Room_Off (command is sent)

2716: Off on Onkyo Receiver (receiver is turned off correctly)

So the system works fine for a few days after rebooting, and then reverts to not shutting the receiver off. The receiver is not used in any other room (Zone 2/3), or for any other purpose than in A/V in the theater room and I can't see where it's still bound to another source which would keep it on. Sure the receiver has an auto off function after a period of inactivity, but that's kind of lame that the controller can't figure out to turn it off.

I would appreciate any [helpful] thoughts or input!!!

RECEIVER CONFIGURATION:

Follow the instructions in the Receiver User Manual for Hardware Setup. Ensure that:

- Network Control is ENABLED

- DHCP is DISABLED

- A Static IP Address is Entered

- A Port Number is Entered

might want to confirm this on the IP driver

The Port Number must be entered in the IP Port field in the Properties field in Composer.

The IP Address must be entered in the Network Connections Tab in Composer.

I've got a similar issue with a JVC projector. Turns on every time the room comes "on" and 30% of the time it goes off when "room off" is selected. 100% of the time I can send the off command from composer and it works. "Room off" seems to be the problem.

The problem is still likely with the driver.

Is the projector an IR-controlled device?

You may want to have the Repeat Count adjusted for the Off.

Room Off code is pretty reliable, since it's been working for 7 years now.

RyanE

RyanE,

Thanks for the advice on the repeat value for the driver - I'll give that a try. I still find it strange that using COmposer to send the command works everytime, yet using the "room off" command (from the remote) fails 70% of the time. Still the same controller sending the same IR command to the same projector.

One other consideration:

Is the controller sending the IR in Composer in the same room as the projector?

If so, it's possible that the projector is getting the IR from the IR Blaster on the controller, *not* from the IR bud.

If that's the case, you need to make sure the IR bud on the projector is in exactly the correct location.

RyanE

If I click system properties in Composer and try to send an Off command, it doesn't work. I added programming so when the room turns off, to send an Off command to the receiver, and still no go. I know it works at some point because if I restart my controller it functions fine, but only for a few days and then forgets how...same thing happens whether I use the IP or serial driver.

Archived