C4 Forums | Control4

Surveillance

ILoveC4

Hey guys, has anyone tried to integrate something like this: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod3100123&navAction=push#desc

I have that system on a commercial where we had some theft problems, and it works great. When my partner bought it I rolled my eyes, but the thing is awesome. Great quality video. I'm thinking of getting the same system for my house...they have a 4 channel version for $499.

With this, the only way to view the cameras would be less than idea...having the video output from the DVR go through an adapter and in to my matrix switch, where it's viewable as a source and the system has IR control over the DVR.

Ideally what I'd do is have 3 or 4 cameras living on the network, viewable within C4 on my touchpanels, and be able to use my NAS as a DVR. Does anyone know of a way to make that happe for anywhere close to the cost of the 4 cam Samsung system ($499)? Even for $750?

I'd like to view them from my C4 touchpanels, but I'm struggling to determine if it makes sense cost wise.

Also, as an aside, has anyone seen footage from the C4 Video Door Station? I'm curious how wide angle the lens is...I have a huge porch.

would be less than idea...having the video output from the DVR go through an adapter and in to my matrix switch, where it's viewable as a source and the system has IR control over the DVR..

I would question why this is so bad?

would be less than idea...having the video output from the DVR go through an adapter and in to my matrix switch' date=' where it's viewable as a source and the system has IR control over the DVR..[/quote']

I would question why this is so bad?

It wouldn't be "so bad"...it just wouldn't give me the option of viewing the cams from my touchpanels. That's exactly what I'm saying...I can buy some Panasonic cameras, and do a home brew DVR (or buy my own) but the only benefit would be viewing them from the touchpanels. I'm trying to evaluate what that is worth.

What keeps you from using the Axis 241Q and some Y adapters?
May I guess for him and say it's 6 to 700 just for that converter...

Ding ding ding. Unless the cameras I can use are less than $25/each, it isn't cost effective. See below.

https://www.google.com/search?ix=aca&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=axis+241q#q=axis+241q&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=HvqWT-31FoTA6AHb8YCnDg&ved=0CI8BEK0E&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=3f59bcaf02f0c053&ix=aca

Like I said, I'm just trying to evaluate how much having the ability to view them from within the C4 GUI/touchpanels is worth.

So does that mean nobody knows of a decent camera for ~$150 that integrates? I could buy 4 of them for $600, and figure out some DVR software...I just can't bring myself to spend a ton more than the Samsung solution that I know works well, outside of the C4 integration.

I must have misunderstood that when you said this:

Ideally what I'd do is have 3 or 4 cameras living on the network, viewable within C4 on my touchpanels, and be able to use my NAS as a DVR. Does anyone know of a way to make that happe for anywhere close to the cost of the 4 cam Samsung system ($499)? Even for $750?

You meant that you'd like to have that *in addition to* the package you want to get from Sam's Club.

I must have misunderstood that when you said this:

You meant that you'd like to have that *in addition to* the package you want to get from Sam's Club.

I'm sorry. I'm thinking what if I could the same functionality, with the added benefit of cameras viewable on my C4 touchpanels, for around the same dollars.

Check this out...tough to beat: http://www.buy.com/prod/samsung-sde-120n-4-channel-dvr-security-system-with-4-cameras/221808040.html

Major obstacle with any of those is where is the driver going to come from. If you forego the TS display, that doesn't matter. You can get in between and put the images up on the OSD using the composite-out on the DVR. Is this acceptable to you? It wouldn't be for me...

Well, OK. I only think about DVR'ing and the security aspect. If you do -10s motion timing and you got motion lights, you will not capture too much of the T-minus frames...

I'm not as worried about security, more worried about my wife being able to keep an eye on the kids and see who's knocking on the door...that coupled with all my exterior lights are why night visibility isn't a huge deal, but those Samsung cams do great at night.

Archived