C4 Forums | Control4

Which controller

Hi all

I know it's a vague question but what controller should I but to work in conjunction with bang and Olufsen masterlink gateway. It will control light and eventually be a whole house system looking after the media replacing apple tv.

Do I really need a hc-800 or would a 300 do?

I see that the 800 has built in hdmi but to put all of the connections to a device close enough to the tv so I'm thinking of putting it in a rack up stairs with a switch and where my CCTV dvr will be. What is the hdmi connection for the on screen display?

I am told that zigs bee for lights switches is not a good enough method for uk houses.

Can the 300 support media?

Is it possible to have the controller up stairs and a smaller one connected to the main tv with it outputs etc or should I just run a long component cable and long or leads down to the tv from the cabinet?

Also currently my hdmi connects Fromm my stb to my tv and my tv converts it to analogue and sends it to other tv's how does c4 do this as I don't need a device with multiple hdmi insurers for all of the questions but I'm trying to work out how envy thing works and what bits I'll need.

Thanks

The only thing I really use 300s for now is extra audio outputs into distributed audio systems. The HC800 is the best place to start and will be the foundation for a system that will be fast and scalable in the future.

Hi there

So it looks like it will be the hc800.

Should the unit be in the tv room ner the tv for hdmi connection to the tv and cabinet where the stb's are or in my network cabinet up stairs near where the amp etc will be located.

If its up stairs I assume I would need to run the IR cables down to the devices and use component as HDMI will not be long enough and over a good distance.

If I use component I will also have to carry the sound to the tv.

Thanks all

Hi there

So it looks like it will be the hc800.

Should the unit be in the tv room ner the tv for hdmi connection to the tv and cabinet where the stb's are or in my network cabinet up stairs near where the amp etc will be located.

If its up stairs I assume I would need to run the IR cables down to the devices and use component as HDMI will not be long enough and over a good distance.

If I use component I will also have to carry the sound to the tv.

Thanks all

You can extend HDMI plenty far.

You can also run 4 x IR buds off one Cat5 cable. String two CAT5 and you should be good. One for IR, the other for a balun. DONE.

Archived