C4 Forums | Control4

Using Apple Time Capsule as NAS, security cam NVR, and HC-200

Two quick questions that I haven't been able to find answers to:

1) Does the Apple Time Capsule work well as an NAS to store and play music only from Control4?

2) I'm looking into Synology NAS to record feeds from 8 Channel Vision 6522 IP Cameras. How does with work with Control4? Is the recorded video available through the Control4 interface or do you need to login to the Synology NAS itself.

3) My system is going to have an HC-800 as a main controller and an HC-250 in the master bedroom. I also need another TV (in another part of the house) that will be on all the time just for viewing the security feeds. Could I make do with an HC-200 for that purpose instead of springing for the HC-250 or will the processor not be able to handle all the feeds?

Thanks!

As you seem to be OSX based, visit the Extravegetables site and read up on their iTunes driver. Then visit c4DIY.com where I wrote a review on Security Spy and Control4 :) Control4 doesn't "store" CCTV video feeds. You'll need either a dedicated DVR or computer based solution to do this. Also find out if you can get the ChannelVision IP streams straight into Control4. If you can do this, that might be easier than going down the security spy route. Cheers.

I don't think the EV iTunes driver is what I'm after. I just want to use the Time Capsule as a repository for my music just as I would with a Synology or Netgear NAS. Maybe my understanding is lacking though.

As far as NVR, I want to use something like a Synology NVR to record the video feeds. My question is how does one view these recordings. Can you access them through Control4 or do you have to login to the Synology box directly?

I'm using Channel Vision 6522 cameras, which are compatible with Control4 with the EV driver.

I don't think the EV iTunes driver is what I'm after. I just want to use the Time Capsule as a repository for my music just as I would with a Synology or Netgear NAS. Maybe my understanding is lacking though.

As far as NVR, I want to use something like a Synology NVR to record the video feeds. My question is how does one view these recordings. Can you access them through Control4 or do you have to login to the Synology box directly?

I'm using Channel Vision 6522 cameras, which are compatible with Control4 with the EV driver.

you log into the synology from a web interface to view the recordings.

One advantage of the synology over the security spy setup, is if you want a dedicated box to do the NVR functions its cheaper and can be accessed from any computer in the house through a web browser. Also there are iOS apps available to view your cameras in one place if you are away from home.

Question about your sonos and EV setup.... do you get meta data from songs playing on the C4 interface when listening to internet radio and sirius or XM

????

That synology camera setup sounds real cool. As for using a time capsule, Ive tried this with Sonos etc, and the share wasn't particularly fast. Also it ended up dieing on me. So I moved my music back onto a mac. You could always use the time capsule as a time machine backup drive. Have you also considered DAS via thunderbolt? Pegasus (I recall) make a DAS RAID.

Archived