C4 Forums | Control4

Can't get switch working

Ok, I've been at this for a while now. I don't know what I'm missing. I have an HC-800 controller and I have a 2 button switch that I wired up. I connected the switch to my control 4 system, but it doesn't turn on the lights! What am I doing wrong?

Is it a SWITCH, or is it a TWO BUTTON KEYPAD.

They're very different products. One of them will turn the light on/off no matter, and the other will not control the load.

It is a two button keypad. When you say it won't control the load, do I need to change it our for a wireless dimmer or something? I have those as well.

Dimmer - can dim light - install where you want To be able to dim Lights.

Switch - works like normal switch on/off. Install in any switches you want control Over.

2 button - can be programmed to control any of your switches and dimmers. Also required for three way switch locations.

Yeah, stormwatch pretty much covered it.

2 button keypads cannot control a load. When you wired it up, didn't you notice there were too many wires in the box? Put a dimmer or switch in it's place, and then you will have enough wires to wire up the light fixture, and it will work.

Keypads don't control loads...they just look like switches, and are typically used in scenarios where you have more than one "switch" that controls a load. When converted to C4, one becomes the actual "switch", and the others are just bound to the switch via programming.

Ok, thanks for the information. I read through the manual and it seems like the blue wire is for the "traveler" wire so that the two button switches or 6, whatever, can work.

Don't use the blue wire. Just wire it up hot.

The blue wire is a huge PITA, with no benefit. You're already going to have a hard time stuffing all those wirenuts in the box if you leave the blue wire alone.

• 2 months later...

Yea, what is the point of the blue wire? Why is a single traveler hooked up, don't really get it...

Obviously I understand how a 3-way switch works but its my understanding that the only way the keypad works is through programming. If that is the case why is there a traveler on the dimmer and on the keypad?

I had to go back to the manual since I havent had to use it yet but here you go:

"IMPORTANT! The Blue wire is not a

traditional traveler: It cannot directly power a lighting load. It must only be used

to provide power to another Control4 keypad. If you do not intend to use this

wire, leave it capped. The blue wire is a "switched hot" wire that is connected

internally to the dimmer's hot wire through the air-gap switch. Power is applied

to the blue wire whenever the air-gap switch is closed. Thus, the blue wire is

used to provide power to downstream keypads in 3-way/4-way scenarios in

order to ensure that all power to the load has been removed when the air-gap

switch is open. See "Sample Wiring Configurations."

Archived