C4 Forums | Control4

Wappinghigh review of EV/AppleTV

ILoveC4

Nice review by Alex.

One point to note: you don't actually have to reflash your ATV V1 in order to add additional storage. I store my iTunes content on my NAS. You tell iTunes not to synchronize your ATV content and voila it will stream all content residing on your NAS to your ATV. Limitations: iTunes must of course be running in order to stream. I choose to sync my music to my ATV1 so it doesn't rely on iTunes always being available but I stream my movies because of storage constraints on the ATV1 and wanting to centralize my content on my NAS.

If the itunes content is on a NAS..does the EV driver know where to direct composer to instigate the "play" command? In your scenario, you would need to bind the NAS share to composer *as well* as the AppleTV would you not? I haven't tried this. I'm not sure you can bind 2 devices like this in their driver? It would be great if you could BTW..

Are you using the driver as I demonstrated?..with the itunes DRM header and art populated in the Control4 media library?... and playing from this library?..

Hi Alex,

I have been using the EV driver in this way for about 1 year now. I do find I use the ATV on screen display more frequently than the Control4 OSD, but that is personal preference.

Storing the content on the NAS and telling itunes where this content is and not to sync to the ATV does not affect the EV driver. It speaks to iTunes and iTunes takes care of the rest...

Cheers...

If the itunes content is on a NAS..does the EV driver know where to direct composer to instigate the "play" command? In your scenario, you would need to bind the NAS share to composer *as well* as the AppleTV would you not? I haven't tried this. I'm not sure you can bind 2 devices like this in their driver? It would be great if you could BTW..

Are you using the driver as I demonstrated?..with the itunes DRM header and art populated in the Control4 media library?... and playing from this library?..

Hi again. How are things!!

I think maybe you missed the whole point of this set up>

That is 1/ you don't have to have iTunes running, and more importantly

2/ You populate the Control media library (not any other library/itunes etc) with all the movie info.

That way you can store metadata and play both Apple *and* non Apple content all from within the one library. And that library is the Control4 media library.

You can't get itunes to populate mkv files for example. Or Blu Ray .iso's...

But with this workaround, the Control4 media library can handle and play mkv's, .iso. AND itunes DRM mv4's... :)

It is from the Control4 library that you instigate the "play" command, not from itunes...

Care to take a look at my multi itunes account post and offer some suggestions :)

I'd appreciate some help on this!

No mon ami, I have the points, it's just my setup is different by design.

1) I don't mind having iTunes running if it means I can centralize all storage on NAS.

2) This happens in my setup exactly the same as yours. You instigate play from C4 etc. Or for ATV/iTunes as the user so chooses.

You're right about the extended audio/video support for non Apple content with the ATV hacks.

Link to multi iTunes account post??

Hi again. How are things!!

I think you missed the whole point of this set up>

That is 1/ you don't have to have iTunes running, and more importantly

2/ You populate the Control media library (not any other library/itunes etc) with all the movie info.

That way you can store metadata and play both Apple *and* non Apple content all from within the one library. And that library is the Control4 media library.

You can't get itunes to populate mkv files for example. Or Blu Ray .iso's...

But with this workaround, the Control4 media library can handle and play mkv's, .iso. AND itunes DRM mv4's... :)

It is from the Control4 library that you instigate the "play" command, not from itunes...

Care to take a look at my multi itunes account post and offer some suggestions :)

I'd appreciate some help on this!

Well that's really cool if it can be done^^

So what do I do?..move the Apple DRM files onto a folder onto a NAS...and change the settings in the AppleTVMK1 to stream from there?...

And the Driver just picks this up and runs with it?..

Is that all you have to do?..Do you have to make any changes to the EV driver?

The other post is: "Come in Neter66...Apple guru's..." under 3rd party software

Cheers

1) Follow one of the many online tutorials how to move your iTunes library to the NAS - not that hard.

2) Then change the settings for your ATV1 in iTunes not to sync for movies, music etc. as you prefer. Your ATV1 will magically start streaming.

No changes required to EV driver.

Bonne chance.

Well that's really cool if it can be done^^

So what do I do?..move the Apple DRM files onto a folder onto a NAS...and change the settings in the AppleTVMK1 to stream from there?...

And the Driver just picks this up and runs with it?..

Is that all you have to do?..Do you have to make any changes to the EV driver?

The other post is: "Come in Neter66...Apple guru's..." under 3rd party software

Cheers

Archived