C4 Forums | Control4

estimate for system upgrade

I moved into a house with a control4 system and was wondering about upgrading and customizing the features. Currently, there are 7 zones and it is running version 1.7.4.36 from 2009. I have 2 HC200's, one HC300, one 7" touchscreen, 4 mini touchscreens, 3 wireless thermostats, a media controller with a CD drive (not sure the specs on it), and an audio matrix switch. I was hoping to upgrade to use an HC800, update the software, and customize the lighting and audio for my equipment. The home theater is setup partially, but I have a PS3 and also new DVR to hook up. I was quoted about $4000 for the total upgrade, Sonos installation, HC800, site license, and composer HE software. Is this reasonable? I think that I can do without the Sonos since rhapsody seems to work fine, plus the PS3 can do internet radio as well so it would be about $400 less. I am waiting for a quote from another dealer as well but haven't heard back yet. Don't know the name of the dealer who installed the equipment and previous home owner has not responded to my questions. Best Buy Magnolia wanted $100 just to come out and give an estimate- seems like a waste unless they are going to be the best deal. I am very new to this so would appreciate any input. Thanks for anyone's help.

Todd

That could be reasonable but without all the information we would just be guessing.

In my opinion you have done the right thing by getting a second bid.That is the best way to see if you are being overcharged

BRENT

Give us your location and someone might be able to refer you to a dealer in your area.

It's impossible to tell you whether you are being overcharged without a line item break down (even then its difficult, without walking the project).

I live outside Nashville TN. Hard to shop around since there are not too many choices. If anyone knows of a reputable dealer in this area that would be great. There is no standalone magnolia store nearby. I figured best buy would be a bad idea. Any information is much appreciated. Thanks!

Pharmdsmith works for The Soho Shop and comments on here regularly. They aren't local to TN but I think he lives around the Nashville area. He is great to work with and does a lot of remote work if you can handle the hardware install. Definitely worth your time speaking to him.

Thanks everyone, I will ask pharmdsmith. Called another company and they haven't gotten back with me either. Got the second estimate but it was very vague and they wouldn't itemize and send me an estimated total even when I asked. Frustrating that no one really wants to work for my money...

I moved into a house with a control4 system and was wondering about upgrading and customizing the features. Currently, there are 7 zones and it is running version 1.7.4.36 from 2009. I have 2 HC200's, one HC300, one 7" touchscreen, 4 mini touchscreens, 3 wireless thermostats, a media controller with a CD drive (not sure the specs on it), and an audio matrix switch. I was hoping to upgrade to use an HC800, update the software, and customize the lighting and audio for my equipment. The home theater is setup partially, but I have a PS3 and also new DVR to hook up. I was quoted about $4000 for the total upgrade, Sonos installation, HC800, site license, and composer HE software. Is this reasonable? I think that I can do without the Sonos since rhapsody seems to work fine, plus the PS3 can do internet radio as well so it would be about $400 less. I am waiting for a quote from another dealer as well but haven't heard back yet. Don't know the name of the dealer who installed the equipment and previous home owner has not responded to my questions. Best Buy Magnolia wanted $100 just to come out and give an estimate- seems like a waste unless they are going to be the best deal. I am very new to this so would appreciate any input. Thanks for anyone's help.

Todd

You could buy controlfouruserguys 1000V2 for $375 and upgrade to 2.2 then you would have Internet radio and Rhapsody through your control4 system. It works great having Rhapsody and Internet radio on your C4 system. We have 11 zones and very happy.

Archived