C4 Forums | Control4

Unique Partnership for Pop Box Perfection

Just wanted to announce that we will not be doing an IP driver for the Pop boxes (Popcorn Hour and PopBox v8). We have an agreement with Extra Vegetables and will be utilizing their driver with our installs and dealers will be able to get their driver directly through us with hardware purchases. Yes, thats right a dd/EV solution. Sounds wierd but combined we are able to focus on both software and hardware improvements at the same time.

Their driver works amazingly well with the other aspects of Control4 (music, photos, etc.) and they have new features and enhancements that I simply will not be able to do and that are going to blow other media options out of the water. That will probably all be announced at CEDIA this year. It is not worth it to save a few bucks to have a lesser driver in this instance and that will be more obvious later this year.

The total price may end up being a bit more than if we had made the driver but a C300 with driver installation is still well below a $600 max, an A300 should be comperable to a Smart Series Dune. A popbox v8 is a little bit more than a Big Mac. :)

I feel that within 12 months most people will be using one of these for video/music/photo control.

I almost made it $10,000. :) I have to put an MSRP on a product for it to show up for dealers and it isn't for sale to end users as a stand alone product but any dealer (including us) can install it. The $500 is just up there to discourage anyone from buying it (and presumably that amount will work, lol). After CEDIA you will see more as to why I'm using theirs rather than try and build one.

Archived