C4 Forums | Control4

Migrating Director from an existing HC 1000 to a new HC 800

Reflashing a HC1000 isn't hard. What takes time is diagnosing a problem and pinpointing what the cause was. I try not to use a restore stick unless i really need to and unfortunately enough after about an hour of troubleshooting the problem did turn out to be a corrupted HC1000. Add on downloading and building a restore stick, reflashing and adding some additional programming and presto two hours have gone by. Two hours to troubleshoot a system isn't actually that bad in my opinion.

But yes migrating Director from a HC1000 to a new HC800 is pretty quick. Though to maintain the zigbee mesh you will need to keep your existing co-ordinator (for you alex its the HC200 in the kitchen).

^ Nobody is unhappy Alan. You did a great job :) My confidence in the future use of the 1000 is a little shaken that's all. Just exploring what to do next. Whether to move the entire project onto an 800.. and what to do with the 1000 should I go down this path :)

Hi Alex,

Didn't mean to make it out that you were unhappy. Was trying to point out that nothing is super easy. In faxt i have to point this out to the sales guys at our office everyday as they seem to think that im a super human that can program a project in 5 minutes. Anyway to answer your question unfortunately all technology gets out of date. Especially nowadays as our needs increasingly change faster and faster. The hc1000 in my opinion is still a great product especially as it is dedicated to running the director process. The hc1000 v3 is not actually that much slower then the hc800. 1.5ghz compared to 1.6ghz. Personally I would keep the hc1000 and if I was unhappy with the speed of the onscreen navigator then I would also purchase a hc800 or hc250 depending on your IO requirements. In fact now that I think about it a hc800 would be more suitable for you as you are looking into adding another area. The hc800 would work great as a backup master controller should the hc1000 fail.

Archived