C4 Forums | Control4

How much power is your rack using?

LSDave

I've had a Panamax surge protector/power filter with bluebolt in our stores demo rack for about a week now. And its amazing how little power the rack is using. Power is relatively cheap in my province, and since it was installed it has cost $1.11 to run the rack.

I'm curious if anyone else on the forums is monitoring power usage.

The bluebolt is about the nicest i've setup. Mainly because all the monitoring is done on their servers. You just plug in the power bar. give it a wired network connection. Then activate its MAC address and key and it shows up on your account. Doesnt get any simpler than that. Then you enter in your power rates for peak and non peak times and it calculates your power consumption.

There is also a free IP driver available in Composer pro that is super easy to setup as well.

It would be nice if the driver would grab an image of the energy usage from the web account and use it as a pop up to display whats being used in the C4 interface.

I use eGauge for monitoring, and I have a circuit dedicated to 3 of my 5 racks. Numerous routers, switches, NAS, WHS boxes, plus C4 gear, amps, DirecTV boxes, etc. Pulling about 600W consistently. I just got this dedicated circuit setup recently, its also protected by a SurgeX box.

I currently have a solid state relay the switches off any non essential gear based on time of day and status of the house. It has cut about 25% off the total load bringing me down to about 130 watts when in standby mode.

My essential gear list is:

One hc 300

8 channel DVR plus camera power x 6

Modem

Router

Switch x 2

Wifi ap

TiVo

Alarm panel

Backup cell modem

The other gear when in an off state but not physically disconnected from the mains still pulls about 40 watts.

Archived