C4 Forums | Control4

media player suggestions?

jeff2908

Not gonna do a 400 disc bluray player. Going with a media player. Can anyone tell me which ones to look at? I would like the player to be, first off, compatible with Control 4, have netflix and hulu, be able to play all ripped bluray and 3d content, have capability of 7.1 audio, gigaport to network, also going to draw data from a nas drive. Anyone have a player in mind?

There is no one device that can do all that. At a bare minimum you're going to need two devices, and you'll be waiting for something that supports true 3D playback as well. You'll need an Apple TV or Roku for the video services, and I'd suggest either the popbox or the popcorn hour for the video playback from a NAS, although a Dune would also work.

Thanks for the feedback. I was under the impression i may have to keep a stand alone 3d player close to the 3d tv. I was reading another post that said there is a form of 3d playback, not true 3d though. Is it worth the time to rip it and convert the file to an mkv? And will the popbox or popcorn hour have issues with licensing?

Archived