C4 Forums | Control4

Black & Decker Kwikset® SmartCode® with Home Connect Locks

Hey folks...

So far I've got my lights and thermostats working pretty flawlessly and I'm pretty pumped to see my C4 layout come together. It's been a long road for my renovation and installation and although I'm quiet on these boards... you are all a wealth of information and I'm again going to lean on the community again.

I'm following these directions for the Black & Decker Kwikset® SmartCode® with Home Connect Lock.

http://www.control4.com/documentation/System_User_Guide/Door_Locks.htm

Only problem is that my dealer cannot seem to get the lock to identify itself in composer. This was by no means a cheap lock set and as far as I can tell I purchased the right one to work with C4. I've checked the batteries... The features... And he and I are lost.

Help?

Has your dealer told the lock to 'leave network' before trying to 'join network'?

Sometimes, these locks come up already on a ZigBee mesh, and they need to be told to leave the old mesh before joining the new one.

I believe it's 9 button presses on one of those two buttons (inside the battery door). The other one is 4 presses to join.

I can't remember which is which.

RyanE

You are absolutely going to luv these locks. Quite frankly (other than AChow's incredibly neat automatic "email who's at the front door" driver)..these are simply the best thing out there in Control4...

Actually combine these locks *with* Alan's driver and a CA motion sensor and you have one incredibly smart entry control and security setup.. but it get's better... all this can be set up totally wireless...(other than one POE cat 5 to a porch cam)...Awesome!! :)

I think it's a matter of style and what someone likes.

I like the touchscreen Yale lock myself.

I just like the look of no buttons, and the back-lit LED numbers.

I also like the ability to turn on or off auto re-lock, without having to pull a panel and flip a microswitch.

I use both Kwikset and Yale, but the Yale is on the front door.

RyanE

When Yale comes out with their 'no-keyway' versions, it'll look even better, with *just* the keypad part showing.

They look really nice.

They're also ingenious. If the battery's dead, there are 2 terminals at the bottom of the keypad to accept a 9V battery pressed into place to power the keypad enough to unlock the door.

That's your backup, instead of the key!

RyanE

True, but having to hunt for one is still better than being locked out without a key and having to call a locksmith and/or break a window.

I think the idea is probably that you could hide a 9V battery somewhere handy by the lock, it's still more secure than a hide-a-key, since you still need to know the combo even with the 9V.

RyanE

Archived